4x4 engage problem

Can't get the front to lock in to 4wd ... the transfer case goes through all the gears but front wheels don't do squat. Is there a test I can do to see if the locking hiubs are broke etc.. thanx

Reply to
Chevrolet

Chevrolet-does this have a year, make and model?? Also is is manual or electronic 4wd? Some of this may help us to help you-is the transfer case locking in? Is the slip shaft locked in, in 4wd? snipped-for-privacy@peru-motors.com

Chevrolet wrote:

Reply to
blazerman

Reply to
Chevrolet

Check to see if hubs are over packed with grease. It is a common mistake that will prevent them from engaging properly in cold weather.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

took the caps off... like brand new/.. packed over kill full of grease.. clean too.. I don't get it.. Maybe the ring gear is broke.. I'll jack it up tomorrow on jack stands and look underneath while someone is idling it in drive to see if the drive shafts are both moving etc. THEN I'll pull the pot off and see if I see hamster shavings.. If so I'm rippong the back off and

Reply to
Chevrolet

There is you problem, too much grease. You want to use it very sparingly in lockup hubs because it will prevent their operation in cold weather if packed full of grease.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

well all.. I found the problem. This truck had al time 4wd setup and the person before me tried puttting the lock/unlock style hub on it without changing everything else required.."SnoMan" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Chevrolet

That would not prevent front axle from receiving power. Sound like they had a internal Tcase failure and switched to 2wd. It is possible that interal drive chain has failed that powers front. Try removing rear drive shaft and use 4wd lockand see if it will try to drive front drive shaft. If not you have a serious problem.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Reply to
Chevrolet

I guess I am not understaning you correctly. If you have a automatic it came with a NP203 full time chian drive Tcase. There was some after market kits to convert it to part time but it still had a chain to drive front axle. On the hubs, I am not sure which style you have but some have the gear on axle riding in a sleeve that keep it close to hub gear so the gear cammed from hub selector needs to travel maybe

1/4 inch max to engage axle. If this sleeve or ring the hold this gear on alxe in place in missing, the hubs will never engage.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Reply to
Chevrolet

Reply to
Chevrolet

Actually I do not think you will get worse MPG than you are now, especailly if you run bigger tires. GM had no bussiness ever putting

2.73 in a 4x4. I would personally go for 4.10 axles. I would not own a 4x4 that did not have at least 3.73's in it and I have owned several during last 30 years with 4.10's and one with a 4.56. Never regreted having 4.10a in any of them and actaully wished it was even deeper a few times

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan