4x4 not working?

'97 Sierra 1500 4x4. No trouble codes in transfer case control module. I can hear the transfer case shift. I can fell that the transfer case goes to 4 low. But push button indicator lights keep blinking - which means front axle is not engaged. I suspect the 'thermal actuator' is not working, and thus the front axle is not engaging. Sound right to you? Is something else more likely? Thanks, Cal

Reply to
cew

Is it going into four wheel drive?

Reply to
Advocate

As I meant to say, I can tell by drivng that is IS definately going into

4 low. Not sure positive that case is going into 4 hi, but it seems likely given that 4 low works, and I can hear the transfer case shift when I push the button. According to the book, blinking lights mean the fron axle has not (yet) engaged.
Reply to
cew

If there is question about 4hi working then that point to front axle disconnect as it must engage for light to stop blinking. THe engaging of low range or 4hi in Tcase is a seperate function from front axle engaging. Low range can engage without front axle engaging.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

the thermal actuator is a problem and should be replaced with the newer type which has a motor driven engagement.

1 hour to replace easy and about 100 bucks. works great and is well worth it if that is your problem. old john
Reply to
ajeeperman

Is the motor driven actuator a direct, screw-in replacement? Do you happen to have a part number? Thanks for the info. Cal

Reply to
cew

I just replaced the actuator in my 1997 K1500 Z71 3 weeks ago. Actuator part #26060073. You will need a new small wiring harness as well - part #12376317. I get employee discounts through my sister & pick up the parts at a GM warehouse. Actuator - $79.18. Harness - $25.51.

Reply to
syoung

Fantastic. Thanks. The actuator just screws in where the old one was?

Reply to
cew

======= =======

=========

a site for you...........

http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:d1wAAzzEomMJ:

~:~ Marsh ~sips his crownroyal.....mmmm......good~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

======= =======

=========

a site for you...........

http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:d1wAAzzEomMJ:

~:~ Marsh ~sips his crownroyal.....mmmm......good~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

THe thermal actuators are not known for long service life. Some time around 1997 or so GM switch to a servo driven actuator that is more relaible. It can be retrofited to a earlier model.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Yes and you install a modified control harness for it and you are done.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Yes, they also give you a small steel spacer that must be inserted into the axle before you screw in the new actuator.

Reply to
syoung

Thanks for all the help. btw, when I look up part 26060073 on gmpartsdirect.com, it states must also get part 88959465 -- which is a 'harness K', same description as 12376317. Perhaps a slightly newer, and more expensive, version. Thanks again.

Reply to
cew

Actually, I was told that there are 4 different harnesses available. I should have mentioned that, sorry. My truck has the 350 Vortec engine with the 4L60E transmission.

Reply to
syoung

Here's the proof. +12v at the actuator connection in 4 wheel. Actuator gets warm. But front wheel continue to rotate freely. Possibly I should have done this first --- but this way I got the right replacement part numbers! Thanks. Cal

Reply to
cew