2002 Blazer 4WD not working

Hello everyone,

I recently acquired a 2002 Blazer. I tried the 4WD and it is not working. When I push the 4 HI / 4LO buttons I can hear a "click" but it doesn't feel like anything engages. (my brother has a Tahoe with a similar set up and when he depresses the 4WD buttons you can feel the car jerk a little.) I do not get this with mine. Any thoughts?

-Jesse

Reply to
Jstein

Take it back, immediately.

It could be something minor, or it could be something severe, but anything that involves pulling the transaxle is going to be no fun at all.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I wouldn't call "feeling a little jerk" a conclusive test at all. If you put it in 4LO, the drive ratio should change NOTICEABLY- first gear won't get you past 10 mph or so. 4Hi is harder to tell, you need to actually get on a loose surface like sand or mud and make sure both front and rear wheels are digging in, or jack all 4 wheels off the ground and make sure they turn.

Reply to
Steve

Get the wheels off the ground and see if both the transfer case and front axle are engaging or not. If the front drive shaft locks up, then the transfer case is engaging. If the transfer case is engaging but you can turn one front wheel without turning the other, then the front axle isn't engaging.

Reply to
Steve Austin

Rather that looking for a "jerk" did you checck whether the car went into 4LO? It should be immediately obvious whether the car was in low or high range simply by driving 30 feet.

Reply to
John S.

The car shows no signs of change after selecting 4LO or 4HI. The only action is an audible click.

Reply to
Jstein

Then it is broken which can be bad new$....

Could be as simple as a bad switch or a dead t-case.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

a good scan tool can relay the fault codes the trafer case has

Jste> Hello everyone,

Reply to
man of machines

Please let us know what this ends up at... Many, many, many of us have wrestled with these vac-operated 4WD systems which work fantastic when they work and are a major PITA when they don't. As others have suggested, it is likely something related to the vac system (switch, hose, actuator) or it's something a little more major such as the encoder motor or the actual TCCM itself. Many folks have noticed that when pulling the pass-side kick panel to expose the TCCM, the plug has been oxidized, shorted, etc. If you need the pin outs, etc, there is a fabulous website on this if you look for it. If you can't find it maybe someone will chime in as there was a guy very dedicated to this issue who had a blog setup with everyone's individual 4WD issues and a potential fix.

Good luck! If it makes anyone feel better, I am still having an issue with my

95 and will be replacing the vac switch and the axle switch in a last ditch effort to fix it. I checked all vac hoses, ran new lines for good measure, tested and cleaner the encoder motor, tested the actuator under the battery tray, tested continuity on the switch and looked over the TCCM with a fine-toothed comb. When checking the diagnostics it comes back showing a failed encoder but it seems to be working. Anyway... if you have the chance to get the dealer to fix this issue, don't hesitate as they can be frustrating to deal with.

Take care, Andrew.

Reply to
Andrew

[...]

Thanks everyone for your posts. Unfortunately I am at a standstill with this project as the cold weather has been rapidly approaching. I do not have a garage at my house so I am stuck doing everything in my front yard. I was hoping to resolve this before the snow flies but we are getting snow up here in NH as I write this. Being that this is my sole transportation to work, I will have to hold off until spring. Thanks again for everyone's help.

-Jesse

Reply to
Jstein

The transfer case is electronically controlled. The front axle interlock is vacuum controlled.

Reply to
Steve W.

according to what i read on mitchell ondemand it is electronic

"Steve W." wrote:

Reply to
man of machines

Not the first time for an oops. The front axle on the 02 uses the same vacuum controlled interlock as the rest of the line. Unless it has the optional AWD. That according to the factory manual, and the 02 Blazer sitting in the yard and the 02 S pickup in my BILs yard. Then add in few dozen I have worked on...

Reply to
Steve W.

Reply to
man of machines

Apparently, not correct. My MOD shows a Blazer in 02, the front axle disconnect is vacuum operated with an electrical solenoid, so you're both correct.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Nope, The S/T Blazers were built until 05.

The Trailblazer was built from late 02 - current From 1999-02 it was actually an upgraded trim level on the S/T Blazers.

The only real change in the front axle disconnect from 83-05 was a switch in late 2000 to a solenoid that triggers the front vacuum instead of the transfer case mounted switch.

Reply to
Steve W.