5.7 L bad valves/lifters?

my 1997 Chevy Pickup with 350 cid and 110,000 miles taps/ knocks when cold( goes away after a minute or two) and when under hard acceleration. A dose of valvemedic helped the situation for a week or so and then returned. The engine does not burn a drop of oil and still runs like the day I bought it new. Oil pressure is not a problem cold or hot, running >40PSI all the time. Is this a valve/lifter problem or some other sign of catastrophic failure?

Thanks for your help

Reply to
Reck

My 97 does the same thing, it started around 105000 miles and it has 145000 now, I changed all the bearings and timing chain and it didn't help at all, a mechanic told me it was piston skirt slap and said it won't hurt anything, so I just keep driving it.

Reply to
jnofziger

A friend of mine just had a similar problem. It was the Cam. Had to be replaced. $3K.

: all the time. Is this a valve/lifter problem or some other sign of : catastrophic failure? : : Thanks for your help :

Reply to
Mellowed

Try a quart of Rislone in it. Sounds like a sticky lifter.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Try a simple valve lash adjustment. 100,000 miles with out a lash setting especially with hydralic lifters, can cause lose of power and excessive valve train noise. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Reply to
David Johnson

With wear things losen up. I have seen high rail style heads with the rocker arm retainers so lose, the engine will not start.

Valve lash settings are proper maintaince. Not the 3K mark like older engines, more like the 80k to 100K mark.

Heck some people think they shouldn't change the spark plugs till the engine barely runs if the vehicle is fuel injected. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

HOLY COW... lets see..

Drain & remove oil pan, drain radiator & remove. Remove Valve covers & loosen rocker arms, remove pushrods. Remove water pump & timing chain cover. Take three bolts out of the cam sprocket, and remove timing chain. Three long bolts as a handle, remove cam.... 4X4 is MUCH harder. To get the pan off you would need to:

A.) hoist the motor about 2 to three inches off the motor mounts. or B.) drop the front diff out of the way.

Should only take about a hour to remove the cam otherwise. 2 hours to have it running again.

Tell your friend to dial 1-800-different-shop.com next time.

Reply to
HDS