76 cheevy blazer 350 4x4 full size.... Steam in the exhaust

I have this truck that is getting loss of power and is getting steam and exhaust coming from the tailpipe. There is no emissions just headers and 3" pipe. I thought it might be a problem with the head gasket but I wanted to check before I crack it open.

Reply to
D.L. Man

In cooler weather there is condensation in exhaust and with headers and

3 inch pipes it will be more noticable because the exhaust cools quicker. Try a low pressure radiator cap (they make a 7 lb one and Napa carries them) if you think you have a head gasket leak and if you do the cap will cause a change in it, if no change in exhaust, there is no leak. Also you did not mention is you were even loosing coolant.
Reply to
TheSnoMan

Its my brothers truck and I don't remember if he said he was losing coolant. But I will ask him. He has been having some trouble with coolant related things lately. Like a few busted hoses, leaking water pump. And then he thought that a freeze plug broke. However, the freeze plug thing and the steam in the exhaust could be the same issue. I haven't looked at it myself. But I thought if he was getting exhaust on the pipes from the outside it was a freeze plug but if he is getting steam out of the pipe (more than normal) than it could be something internal.

I will suggest that he try the radiator cap first though. The truck is 76 but the engine is a checkers rebuild from 2001. I know that doesn't mean much but I thought I would mention it.

Reply to
D.L. Man

You mentioned that he has had coolant problems in past with busteds hoses and such. If he overheated it or ran it while low on coolant it adds a different perspective on possible problems.

Reply to
TheSnoMan

What kind of problems?

Reply to
D.L. Man

Cracked or warped head or a cracked block. Small blocks do not take well to being run without colant. It does not take long to damage one especailly if it is in a heavy high drag vehicle. Usually the heads go first and warp or somtimes crack. When they warp the head gasket usually lets go because head gasket on small blocks need a reason to blow as they just do not do so for not other cause (unless heads were never torqued properly at assembly) but coolant problems tells a lot here. When your vehicle looses its water, you park it and walk or call for a ride to get more coolant for it, you do not keep driving to get somewhere. You can nurse it if it is hot and cooling system is intact but when coolant is missing you can damage motor quickly. Same with oil pressure problems, you shut it down NOW.

Reply to
TheSnoMan