Trouble Code P0125

I just got this code scanned to find out it is "Insufficient Coolant Temp.for Closed Loop Fuel Control." What do I need to do to fix this? I?ve been having a problem lately with coolant "disappearing." Could this be related? My local radiator shop couldnt find the leak anywhere. The Service Engine light just came on two days ago but ive had the coolant leak problem for several months. Any ideas whats going on? Thanks

Reply to
dirtk38

Year, make, model, engine, mileage???????????????

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

You need a different radiator shop. There's only 3 places for coolant to go. It can leak out on the ground, get into the oil pan, or go through the exhaust.

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

George

I don't know about you, but my engine (probably totally different type) has been misfiring and stuff and was told to check my dipstick when the engine is cold and look for "bubbles" on the oil dipstick and check to see if your exhaust smells sweet (if you notice a lot of water coming out of your tailpipe). That would indicate a blown head gasket or cracked head causing a drop in fluid level.

Reply to
JQuigs1977

Sorry i thought i had put that in the subject. I?ve got a ?98 Chevy Tahoe 4x4 with about 107,000. The shop i took it to did a pressure test on the coolant system and it didnt show a pressure drop. They crawled all over the engine and didnt see anything. They took the plate off the bottom of the radiator to look around and still didnt see anything. Today was the first time Ive actually seen small pools of antifreeze under the car in the driveway. There were two spots, both passenger side, one just even with the back of the tire, the other another foot and a half back. Anyway, I hope that all helps. Should I be worried about driving it? Temperature guage doesnt show any overheating and the engine doesnt appear to run/smell any differently. Thanks for your time.

Reply to
dirtk38

"jsandrquig" wrote: > I don't know about you, but my engine (probably totally > different type) has > been misfiring and stuff and was told to check my dipstick > when the engine > is cold and look for "bubbles" on the oil dipstick and check > to see if > your exhaust smells sweet (if you notice a lot of water coming > out of your > tailpipe). That would indicate a blown head gasket or cracked > head > causing a drop in fluid level.

Oil looks fine when cold or warm. The radiator shop told me that it was possible the coolant was going out with the exhaust, but they said that could mean a bad intake manifold gasket. Ive seen many other people with this engine having this problem. This is a pretty extensive repair though, so I wanna make sure thats what it is first. Any other ideas?

Reply to
dirtk38

Intake manifold gaskets most likely. Super common problem with this engine, and at 107K it's about due.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Find a new shop, these guys are morons. A bad intake manifold gasket lets coolant into the OIL, not the combustion chamber. A bad HEAD gasket will allow coolant into the combustion chamber and out the tailpipe.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"
Reply to
dirtk38

Hey Doc, I wouldn't be so quick to say that isn't possible. Often the coolant port is right next to the intake runner, not hard at all for coolant to get into the combustion chamber. I don't see a mention of what engine he has though. Bob

Reply to
Bob

Ive got the 5.7 L Vortec that was standard in this model, I believe. Thanks for that reply, bob, because I was sure I?d seen in other places people talking about IM gaskets detoriating and causing antifreeze to be combusted. This has to be where my problem is because i just dont see large puddles of antifreeze under my car. Thanks

Reply to
dirtk38

I was speaking in rather general terms. As far as a 5.7 Vortec goes I can't say I've ever seen coolant leak into a manifold runner. The 3 biggest problems I've seen with the Vortecs leaking coolant have been water pumps, frost plugs, and intake gaskets which have leaked externally. Bob

Reply to
Bob

5.7L MPFI Vortec.....................quite a bit of geography between the front coolant passages and the intake runners for cylinders 1 and 2. Back passages are blocked off via the gasket, so if it's coming from anywhere it would be the front. I know exactly what yer' talking about and have seen this on other engines, but I've never seen that happen on a SBC due to the amount of space between front coolant passage and #1 and #2 runner.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

When I say WHITE, I mean WHITE. It's opaque and thick, not like steam which is greyish and translucent.

H20 is a normal by product of gasoline combustion, and some water coming out the tailpipe is normal. Your antifreeze is orange right? Is the stuff coming out of the tailpipe orange-tinted or clear?

Yep. The waterpump has two weep holes, one on top and one on the bottom, just behind the pulley. If the holes are wet it's a good indication the seal is going on ya. Top one is easy to see, bottom one is a bit trickier, but a mirror and/or getting underneath w/ a flashlight will do ya.

Been there, done that. That's how I learned to fix my own stuff..........was too poor to pay someone else to fix it for me!

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

take a good look at the heater hoses too. sometimes a leak in one of them is hard to spot. Then when its all fixed and that code comes back.....change the t-stat, its probably stuck open.

Reply to
Shoe Salesman