'88 K1500 Question

I just purchased a 1988 K1500 Short Stepside, I love the pickup but it is a bit under powered with the 305. Does anyone know how much extra hp could be generated with a new carb (looking at Edelbrock 600cfm) new manifold (probably Performer) and dual exhaust (would like flowmasters with 3" pipe, probably w/headers)

Woukld the increase be worth the expense?

Reply to
<xxxxx

you'd get little to no increase and a fair decrease in reliablilty. GM TBI motors, while not especially powerful ( by todays muscle truck standards), are as a group, stone axe reliable. you'll gain very little for several reasons, 1. it's a 305, 2, the cam is tiny (179/194deg I/E@.050" .350"/.384" lift). 3. the heads are horrible.. the TBI heads went overboard on the "long runners for torque" theory.

  1. while full length headers are a good idea, 3" duals are WAAAAAAY too much pipe for a small block let alone a 305. 2 or 2.25" pipes are plenty.

if I were you, I'd buy the edelbrock intake and cam setup for the TBI motor and purchase a set of full length headers. hth, Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase