Anyone Out There

I am new to this newsgroup. Gotta 65 Mustang coupe. We've done alot to it. I will post a picture sometime. Anyone out there wants to share there pictures would be cool too. My body has been redone and the motor is a rebuilt 289 HiPo clone (not original). I am running a 600cfm edelbrock through a cobra intake. Got electronic igintion and headers w/flowmasters. A real runner. Anybody got any ideas on boosting my horsepower. I am probably running about 310 with my current setup. I don't want a big cam (is stock now). I was thinking one of those tornado vortec things that goes in the air intake could help some. let me know. I also have a 5 speed in it. Lots of fun. Dennis Doiron

Reply to
Dennis Doiron

Don't post the pics here. Put them up on a host site on the web and post a link to them. Just tryin' to save yer hide from the flaming you'll get if you post them here.

Scott W. '66 HCS

w/flowmasters.

Reply to
Scott Williams

Follow the link below to my picture album!

-- _______________________________________ "The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: The chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

Reply to
Just Me "Koi"

"Dennis Doiron" wrote

I am running a 600cfm edelbrock

Forget the tornado thing, it's pure snake oil. To boost horsepower beyond what you've got now, you've already done the intake, exhaust, and ignition upgrades. That leaves heads, compression, cam, displacement, and power adders.

The small port Air Flow Research heads, I believe they're rated 180 cfm, seem to be the best choice for SB Fords at the moment. Aftermarket heads will also give you more compression, and aluminum heads allow more CR without pinging than iron, so you can mill them a little if necessary to get up to 10:1 or higher. Here is a fabulous article on how to get more CR without ping:

As to the cam, you can easily beat a stock K-code solid lifter cam with a modern flat tappet hydraulic cam from Comp Cams or Crane or whomever, with little or no deterioration in driveability. Or you can go with a roller cam, which is easily adapted to an old small block with one of these "spider" and roller lifter kits.

As to displacement, you can bore and stroke a 289 to 331 or 347 ci for a couple thousand bucks. Web search for Scat, Eagle, or Probe stroker kits.

As to power adders, there's a Paxton kit that bolts a centrifugal blower onto a carbureted SB Ford. There's also Weiand kit with a Roots blower, but that requires a cowl hood for clearance. And there's always nitrous, the quickest and cheapest way to add 50-150 hp.

The thing about going for horsepower with a 289 is you'll need to shift the power band up in the rev range, which takes it out of the bottom. This means you'll need a lower gear (higher numerically) if you want any snap off the line. It also means you'll be breaking parts. It's a vicious circle. But I'd say you're better off either sticking with what you've got now or making a big commitment to go to the next level. In-between stuff will just eat up money and give no real benefits.

180 Out TS 28
Reply to
180 Out

Reply to
Johnny K

Welcome to the group! Sounds like you have quite a toy there :)

Kate

98 Cobra Drop Top with a personal touch, or two...

w/flowmasters.

Reply to
SVTKate (mobile)