89 Chev radio noise

Hi guys,

I have a high pitched buzz in my 89 Chevy pick-up radio speakers. It rises and falls with the engine rpms. I had the alternator rebuilt a while back but it didn't make any difference. Is there a suppressor in the alternator that the mechanic could have missed? Could it be something in the radio that is getting old and quit working?

It is not horribly bad, just an annoying high frequency whine. Even though I was married for 23 years, but I can't tolerate as much whining as I used to.

Rick Mc Iowa

Reply to
Rick McDowell

no one

I can hear it on both AM and FM, and I can hear it even when the volume is turned all the way down. The buzz doesn't get quieter if I turn the radio down. Yes, I use AC CR43TS plugs and they are pretty new. I wonder if one went bad...

Rick

"no one" wrote;

Reply to
Rick McDowell

If you're hearing a whining sound it's the alternator. If it's a snapping sound it's a plug or plug wire. I think it's alternator whine. Ignition noise would go up and down with the volume control. Find a capacitor from an old points type ignition system and put the thin wire on the big fat wire coming from the alternator and ground the case under a clean screw. (Preferably on the alternator) That should help.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Bad antenna cable or the ground for the radio/antenna has failed. Replace the antenna cable and clean the grounding areas on both ends real well.

Reply to
Steve W.

If the radio is not stock and was installed by some one. Hook the radios positive wire(s) directly to the positive battery termal, if the noise goes away then you can simply find a different positive connection at the fuse box. Also if you have an amp you must do the same test.

Reply to
eagles1