Engine noise

This van I bought has a high pitched whine or whistle when driving around town. It occurs when you step on the gas. The faster the engine turns the more high pitch it becomes. When the foot comes off the gas it becomes louder but lower pitched for a second or two. At idle the noise isn't noticed and isn't heard at highway speeds. I'd like to know whether it's a noisy alternator or a vacuum leak? I was assuming it was the alternator but then it could be associated with the check engine light that came on once recently, showing code 0121.

Reply to
Moses

The first thing I thought of was the alternator. I have an old Honda that's starting to do that. I can't think of how a vacuum leak could produce such a noise.

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

It might be exhaust noise. Exhaust whisling is unsual, but it can happen.

Reply to
Joe

Make, model and year, please. Engine size would be good.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt