radio replacement

Apologies for the lengthy post, but I want to try and explain this as best I can in the hope that someone can tell me whether it's true or false....

I just bought a 2005 Camry. The factory radio unit is huge (the size of 2 radio decks) with CD and casette players and controls on the steering wheel for volume level, station changing, and power (mode button).

I took it to a car audio place to have the factory unit replaced with a standard AM/FM casette player (which was previously installled in my '95 Camry) and a separate CD player. (The AM/FM/casette player also receives shortwave, which I enjoy listening to in the car, hence my desire to replace the factory unit).

The AM/FM/shortwave radio unit and separate CD player look great in the dashboard and fill the large space where the factory unit used to be nicely. However, there are some quirks, which the audio installation place told me can't be fixed unless they rewire the car's entire audio system. Specifically:

  1. There is no longer an audible beep from the radio whenever you press the memory buttons, do a scan, change frequency bands, or turn the radio off.
  2. The controls on the steering wheel are no longer illuminated at night and no longer control the functions of the radio, which must be done manually.
  3. When you set the speaker balance to front speakers only, everything is fine. But when you adjust the balance to rear speakers only, there is no audio. It's as though the rear speakers aren't connected, but they are, because when the setting is balanced between front and rear, both sets of speakers produce audio.

I was told these quirks have to do with the radio unit I had installed and the amplifier unit in the Camry. Unlike the factory installed radio unit that comes with new Camrys, there are apparently not enough jacks or connectors on the shortwave radio (a Sony XR4950 Xplod unit) to match the number on the amplifier. I was also told that if I wanted to restore the radio's audible beep, it would have to be wired separately through the amplifier and would be so loud it would be annoying. Finally, I was told that if I had installed a radio unit with a handheld remote control, it could have been connected to allow the steering wheel controls to work the radio, but that because this unit doesn't have a remote, the steering wheel controls can't be connected directy to the unit.

When I questioned these assertions, I was told that a lot of new car owners share similar disappointments when they insist on removing the factory radio and installing other units, that the car manufacturers know this, and that it is very expensive to replace the existing amplifier or rewire the audio system to make the aftermarket units fully compatible with existing audio systems in the vehicle.

I have used this firm to install all kinds of radios in several cars over the past 20 years and they have a good reputation. In fact, they told me that the steering wheel controls wouldn't work on the new unit even before I told them to go ahead and install it anyway. So I can't really say that they sold me a bill of goods. What I can say is that I find it hard to believe that there aren't simple connections that could be made to restore the radio beep, steering wheel controls, and rear speaker (only) audio.

So, does any of this make sense to anyone? Has anyone had a similar experience with aftermarket radio installation in a new Camry? I would be very interested in anyone's views.

Again, sorry for the long post. But if you read this far, thanks in advance for your interest.

David

Reply to
David

Well, the audible beep and the ability to control from the steering wheel are proprietary to the factory radio. Kind of like why your TV remote won't work on my TV. I'm sure it could somehow, but it would be quite a project.

Reply to
qslim