94 S10 Blazer 4.3

The temp gauge on my Blazer stopped working last week. I know the factory gauge is just a guess as to the actual engine temp and I thought this might be a good
time to replace it with something a little more accurate. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I should replace it with? Thanks.                                             Remo
--

Drop the gun to reply

Actually, you could just replace the sensor in the block. It's in the pass. side head between the front 2 plugs. You'll have to replace the sensor anyway, to work with an aftermarket gauge. I found the one in my 94 (though that was with a digital dash) to be pretty close to accurate, and the one in my 2000 seems to be as well.

Go with a mechanical gauge if you choose to replace instead of just getting a new sensor. You can also get thermostat housings that accomdate temp gauges. The draw back to those is that you don't get a good reading until after the thermostat opens up. You do know what the temp is going into the radiator that way though. Also, they are pretty easy to install and service.
Big Chris
Mike Levy wrote:

Thanks for both replies. I will be switching to a mechanical gauge. If I have to change the sensor anyway I think I should go with something I have more confidence in.                                     Remo
Big Chris wrote:

--

Drop the gun to reply