97 Jimmy 4x4

I have a 97 Jimmy 4x4. The transfer case switch is the three button on the dash with 2Hi, 4Hi and 4Lo. I need to get it to go into neutral to flat tow it. The owners manual has nothing in it on how to do that. Can the T-case be shifted into neutral? TIA GM

Reply to
GM

Posted this for you on alt.trucks.chevy as well....If it's like my Z71 Avalanche, you must put the transmission in N before shifting the transfer case into neutral. Trying it in Park won't do it. It took me a while to figure this one out, and it turned out it was in the manual. I think this is a common GM transfer case design thing, even though my '04 Z71 has an NP246 AutoTrac case and your 97 Jimmy will be an NP233.

Reply to
Augustus

Thanks for the rapid reply. What I don't understand at this point is how to get the transfer case to stay in neutral. I place the transmission into neutral and any combination of button presses either leaves me in 2hi, 4 hi or 4 lo. If I hold two buttons down together (2 hi to 4lo as an example) nothing happens. I have verified that I am not into a transfer case neutral by shifting back into park. Or maybe someone else here can answer this, Can this be flat towed about

600 miles with just the transmission into neutral? I have been told by others not to do it as it will burn up the trans. TIA GM
Reply to
GM

Well I found the answer to my own question after researching (its called googling). GM Service bulletin # 00-00-89-008F dated August 2006 reference to towing, There is a section in there on vehicle combination / transfer case combos, "T Trucks equipped with an optional electric shift 233 transfer case, RPO NP1, no neutral position". Well that certainly sucks! TIA GM

Reply to
GM

Can't be. No neutral on that case. Two solutions for flat towing 1. Pull the straps on the rear U-Joint, wrap the joint with some tape to keep the caps on. Tie it out of the way. 2. Buy one of the interlock kits that are made to allow you to flat tow. Most operate like the axle interlock up front.

Reply to
Steve W.

that style transfer case does not have a neutral position that I know of. Time to remove the drive shafts if you want to flat tow it.

----------- Elbert snipped-for-privacy@me.com

Reply to
Elbert