99 Suburban Electrical Problem

I have a strange electrical problem with a 1999 Suburban. For no apparent reason, the vehicle will lose all electrical power - and I mean everything. Power locks won't work, clock resets once power returns. If you let it sit, the power will eventually return - sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes 8 hours later. I've check the battery connections, every ground wire I can find and wiggle every wire under the hood to try to replicate the problem, but haven't found a cause yet. I talked to a service tech at my local Chevy dealer and he said it sounds like a bad ignition switch. This doesn't make sense to me. Would a bad ignition switch cut power to everything, including the power door locks? Anyone ever have this problem before? Thanks.

Reply to
Robert

I think that the battery / cables / grounds / fuse block any any other major connections is what you need to look for first.

Reply to
Rusted

Check the bulkhead connector:

Where all the posative cables join from the main posative babbery cable, either on the starter or on the fender well.

I'm sure you'll find a loose or corroded connection.

I hope this helps?

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish_King1

reclean your battery terminals GOOD. I mean scrape them with a brush or knife and do both the cables and terminals. then wash with wet baking soda and rinse. this will probably stop the problem, and many others. old john

Reply to
johnny