99 Suburban Pinion Nut Loose

My Suburban has a noise after a quick stop where the rear end sets down. There is like a bump noise from the rear end. I'm wondering if it could be the Gear ware (124K Miles) and can this be adjusted out by tightening the pinion nut? If so what is the procedure.

Also I get this noise sometimes when it shifts.

Thanks in advance!!!

Reply to
Skip

No.

Tightening the pinion nut only adjusts the preload on the pinion bearings, it has nothing to do with gear wear.

I'd be more suspicious of a binding driveshaft slip yoke.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

This could be it... Would the fix be dropping the drive shaft and adding grease to the slip yoke?

Reply to
Skip

That or replacing the yoke with the improved part from GM.

Reply to
aarcuda69062