Excessive end-play in pinion-Ram 1500 4x4 Results

Some wanted to know how things turned out with my Ram rear differential problems with excessive play at the pinion. It turned out to be just an adjustment of the compression collar and tightening the retaining nut. Basically, just adjusting the end-play. They also replaced the rear universal joint. The shop checked for any metal shavings in the differential or any excessive heat after a 10mi drive at highway speeds and everything checked out fine. Total bill was $50.00 even. There was never any leakage or noise so I guess it was caught just in time before any damage was done. I finally got a bit of luck to my side.......:-)

Ed

Reply to
Ed M.

You got lucky!!!

If you can't Dodge 'em - RAM 'em

Reply to
Abby.Normal

Real luck. The only way this can cause excessive end play is if pinion is wobbling around in bearings which would also cause mesh pattern to change. Pinion/ring gear backlash is determined by carrier shims and shims under pinion head controlling depth of pinion. It being loose would not increase backlash unless it was loose enough to wobble in bearings and away from ring gear. I would keep a eye on rear axle for future problems from premature ring and pinion wear.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I would question any repair that claimed to "adjust the compression collar" (crush sleeve) by simply tightening the nut without first removing the ring gear carrier. Pinion bearing preload can only be measured without the drag of the ring gear.

Reply to
John Kunkel

For $50 bucks how do you know? No competent shop could have pulled the differential out, set the proper preload on the pinion bearing, put the differential back in and checked the backlash for $50.00.

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

That was my mistake in terms. That should have been "crush sleeve" rather than my term.

Ed

Reply to
Ed M.

Well, I guess I don't. The shop is a fairly well known 4x4 shop that is just down the road less that a mile away. I have not done business with them before and will keep an eye out for anything amiss. The shop has a reputation for doing things correctly and several 4x4 clubs have all their work done there. Their major business is building and maintaining off-road and 4x4 vehicles.

Ed

Reply to
Ed M.

Damn, Greg! That's the first time I've ever heard you bitch about something that's too cheap!

;^)

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons