A/C compressor not running

All of a sudden the A/C compressor in my 99 Silverado 4x4 (5.3L) doesn't seem to cut on at all anymore. The blower works fine and up until a few days ago the air coming out of the vents was been nice and cold. However, now nothing happens under the hood when I press the button to activate the A/C.

I checked the fuse next to the relay and it's fine. Is there a chance the problem is something simple like the dashboard control module itself? I had to change out the transfer case switch module about 5 months ago.

Thanks for any help.

Casey

Reply to
Casey

Casey said

I had looked twice before to make sure the A/C belt (separate one in V-

8 models) looked okay and it seemed fine from above. Climbed up and reached all the way down ... and pulled the belt out. It had broken but was perfectly draped over the A/C clutch pulley so it looked okay at a glance.

The belt didn't seem to be in all that bad of shape - but it snapped in half.

Casey

Reply to
Casey

Your free-on is to low.That`s why the compressor won`t turn on.I`m sure this doesn't have to do with anything else. Just a coincidence.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Re: A/C compressor not running Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Sun, May 8, 2005, 7:58pm From: snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Bill) =A0=A0=A0=A0Your free-on is to low.That`s why the compressor won`t turn on.I`m sure this doesn=B4t have to do with anything else. Just a coincidence. Bill

Not always true... Cycling or high pressure switch could be shorted..... Steve

Reply to
Steve Cook

first step is to check the refrigerant charge. $10 says you've a leak. Try evacuating the system if there's no pressure in it, and recharge with a refrigerant with leak sealer and oil in it.

Reply to
burntkat

not true. It could be the pressure switches, or even the coil in the clutch, not to mention any number of relays, switches, etc.

But yeah, I'd check the freon

Reply to
burntkat

He said the belt was broken!!!!!!