Aluminum wheels

Hello everybody-

I haven't really dealt with aluminum wheels in a lot of years, so this may be a real stupid question:

Is it all right to use them in the winter, in Michigan, without the fear of the salt ruining them?

It seems to me that we never used aluminum during the winter, only steel was allowed.

Also, is there special lug-nut types to use with aluminum wheels?

These would be installed on my 1996 Chevy K3500 4x4.

Thanks.

-Tim

Reply to
mudmantim

Frank S.

Reply to
Shep

Well, my tires are already mounted and weighted, no epoxy or any protectant.

Sounds like I should just get some different all-seasons to replace what I already have on.

Thanks for your help.

-Tim

Shep wrote:

Reply to
mudmantim

They come with the protective coating on them already.. I drove my '95 Tahoe with the factory aluminum wheels in Minnesota salty winters and never gave it a thought.

Reply to
Advocate54

I took them to a tire place yesterday and was told that they are Alloy and not to worry. (I thought that Alloy was just Aluminum Alloy without the word Aluminum?) Anyway, he said that they are factory GM rims from a few years back.

They are 285/16's; were just a tad too big though. After a couple minutes with a sledge hammer, they fit just right with no rubbing at all.

Damn they look cool!

-Tim

Advocate54 wrote:

Reply to