Best Paint For Steel Wheels?

In the near future, I plan to repaint my '86 Chevy rally wheels... An auto paint supply told me to use etching primer and 2K urethane paint. What say ye? Would this hold up well to the moisture and heat inside the wheel/tire... would it also hold up to rocks and road debris? Thanks.... GC

Reply to
GC

Yes:

And yes, but over the self etching primer. Use a good urethane or epoxy high build primer/surfacer. To add a good solid ground coat, and help absorb stone impact.

Also, use a good base coat/clear coat paint.

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Thanks alot, RKing! Would that same system work well for painting the body?

Reply to
GC

Hmmm intersesting topic, not to hijack the thread, but does anyone (maybe R.King.) know what to use to replicate the flat grey textured paint on early

2nd gen Z-28 5 spoke rally rims? I've just stripped 4 down to the bare ass, now I'm not sure what to use to appear factory finish. Thanks

Reply to
Demon

Like this.....

look like this..... =
QUOTE from
"The early wheels with the Bowtie caps were painted with a special gray paint with a flattening agent and a pebble finish agent added to get a finish that simulates the rough surface of a "mag" wheel. This paint was available from Ditzler as DDL-32961, but Ditzler dealers are phasing out lacquer paints so it is no longer available. Ditzler has a different paint to replace this. The later wheels with the Z28 caps were painted body color."

My problem herein is that I've never heard of Ditzler, maybe because I'm in Canada, I don't know. Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
Demon

Yes!

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

It was textured rocker panel spray:

tremco was the brand GM used. It was black and dried as hard as a rock.

I color keyed a lot of those wheel spoke areas, to match the car color. So I know exactly what you're looking to do. Spray a coat of PPG Epoxy LF, with LF 401 catalyst, in the colored areas when you mask them off, then after the lf 40 dries, spray the Tremco textured coating, then wait for a complete dry, then follow up with more LF 40 epoxy.

Then a base coat!

Then use K93 Clear primer sealer over the whole wheel when you un mask the painted area, only lightly dusting the painted area. That will be a good sealer and adhesion promoter, then use 2021 or 2082 PPG clear. The wheels will be virtually indestructible to stone chips. Not be phased by dog piss and no brake dust will ever stick to it.

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Ditzler is PPG!

Ditzler was the original name of the company, then Pittsburgh Plate glass bought them out in the 40's, and in the 80's decided to push the PPG name above the Ditzler name?

Corporate geniuses at work.

Refinish King

My problem herein is that I've never heard of Ditzler, maybe because I'm in Canada, I don't know. Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
Refinish King

RKing... you're a miracle worker! That sounds like something far removed from the usual waste of time, one gets from buying the trash auto parts stores sell! The ONLY paint i've ever found at a APS that was even _half_ usable was Plasti-Coat... and naturally they don't even sell it anymore. Thanks again, RK!

Reply to
GC

Hey RK,

I noticed a "new hip trend" some of the folks running fart cans, and rubber bands are using to "trick out" their rides. Good old textured and toned trunk spray..... Just saw a show the other night where some west coast outfit was claiming they found it first... Guess they never bothered to look in the trunk of most of the 30-80's cars. Heck the local Wal~Mart even has it on the shelf, next to the neon lights and salad slicer wheel covers..

Reply to
Steve W.

Plasti Kote is one of the best spray paints on the market!

Whenever I need spray cans for a project, I insist on Plasti Kote!

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Thanks once more, RK... for months I've looked all over the county where I live, and couldn't find it anywhere--I thought they'd stopped making it... now I know better! Thanks, GC

Reply to
GC

I painted my spoke wheels with Dupli-color silver, give a mag look ,I think did the running boards om my blazer with it too.

Reply to
LARRY929

Larry, Yeah, that's what I'm having to replace! That sorry-arse Dupli-Color! Save yourself grief and money, use something like RK suggested.... sure wish I'd waited to learn the best method--for the _first_ effort! GC

Reply to
GC

I like the color myself, looks great too me.

Reply to
LARRY929