Steel Wheels for winter

Hi, Steel wheels are not expensive to begin with. Canadian tire is one source. My kids' Two Subies have both Arctic Alpen snow tires on 16" steel wheels. In summer they drive 17 in. Toyo Avid tires on after market alloy wheels. Tony P.S. You gotta have proper lug bolt hole spacing and off-set.

al gu wrote:

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hello. I just bought a 2004 Impreza outback with the 16 inch alloy wheels. Not delivered yet. It is on a train coming from Vancouver.

I want to run steel 15 inch wheels with snow tires in the Canadian winter. Any 'cheap' wheel sources around Toronto? Any steel wheels from any other Japanese car fits this Subaru? reply here or brian_motorcycle snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com thanks so much

Reply to
al gu

Reply to
Crash

The Impreza wagon has 15 inch steel wheels from the factory. The Impreza Outback has the 16 inch alloy wheels. There is no mention of different brakes in any literature I see about both models. Replies? thanks

Reply to
al gu

It was just one of the options for a complete winter wheel package. Try this:

The take-offs are $69 now. Still really good for 16" rims! Terry - '03 Silver Legacy SE sedan - 36 miles! '02 Regatta-Red GT wagon 5spd - 23k miles Yakima / TandeMover / Rockymount rack To reply, get rid of the "nonsense"

Reply to
TW-Ohio

Yeah - the brakes are the same; 10.7 fronts, and 10.3 rears. It appears 15" would work. You'd save a bit on rims, and $2-$20/tire, and have a narrower profile which is recommended. Check the 15" selection on the lower part of this Tirerack page:

The next post in line mentions another option; eBay! I almost bought theretil I saw that Tirerack had them nearly new for less $ and less S&H cost unlessyou could find a local set. Terry - '03 Silver Legacy SE sedan - 36 miles! '02 Regatta-Red GT wagon 5spd - 23k miles Yakima / TandeMover / Rockymount rack To reply, get rid of the "nonsense"

Reply to
TW-Ohio

AFAIK, there are *no* other cars with the Subaru five-hole spacing and offset, nada... :-( Terry - '02 GT wgn,'03 SE sedan

Reply to
TW-Ohio

Thank you!

Nicolas

Reply to
Nicolas Dore

A wise man once said " Would you rather get 20K miles out of a set of tires that were a pleasure to drive on, or 40K out of a set that made life miserable every time you sat behind the wheel?"

I _had_ hoped to at least autocross the life outta the stock RE92s on my WRX, but they were just so bad that I couldn't stand it. I replaced them with Kumho Ecstas on the stock wheels for autocross, and a set of Michelin Alpin Pilots in 205/65 on 15 inch rally wheels for daily use (I drive dirt a lot, and some offroad as well; hey it's a Subaru after all ;-) at around 6-7K miles. Gave the RE92s to a highschool kid who couldn't afford new rubber, and so was perfectly happy to get them.

FWIW, the Michelin ice tires actually proved to be as grippy, maybe even grippier (but louder) on dry pavement than the RE92s. They also offer far improved performance on dirt and gravel roads, and (no surprises here) on snow and ice. Plus the taller tire has consistently given slightly better mileage; 25-26 for the Alpin Pilot vs 23-24 with the RE92s.

I have since been given a used set of the Michelin Arctic Alpins in

205/50/16. I only used these for a couple ice rally cross events last winter, (a 1st and 3rd place finish in PGT) and perhaps a thousand miles of daily driving, but feel that they work even better than their higher priced relatives for all around use; definitely better on ice. Tire wear is probably greater, tho.

As in all things, YMMV. For non-aggressive driving on mostly dry pavement, the RE92s are adequate, and probably good for 30-40K miles; they're round, they're rubber, and they hold air . . .

ByeBye! S.