Best way to clean out my HEI

Page 2 of 2
LOL... I came home on December 28th and immediately popped the top on the carb to swap the jets for smaller ones in an attempt to lean it out. I dropped in a 350/290hp crate motor over a year ago and when the
stock Quadrajet carb made it run rough, I tossed it in favor of an Edelbrock performer series. I have never been able to lean it out, and only in the last few months did I get *really* serious about figuring out the problem.
So it was down to the jets. I pulled the old ones, replaced them with the new ones, and put it all back together...except I forgot to reconnect the fuel line to the carb!!! When I hit the starter, it pumped gas all over the backside of the engine and hit the hot exhaust pipe. It immediately went "poof" and I had a burning engine. Luckily a woman nearby had some half-empty water bottles in her car that I used to douse the flames with.
10 second mistake has kept my truck off the road for a month now. I got the replacement wiring harness ready to install, hopefully I can do it today. I got sick yesterday, but so far this morning it's just a stuffy head, so we'll see.
You can see the damage at http://www.absolutepickens.com/K5/Damage /
The rest of it's fine, just filthy :-) It's got a good body, only a little surface rust around the tailgate, all pretty much stock for now. Better axles and a lift, as well as some custom body work are in its future, but first I gotta get back on the road. Walking to work sucks!
~jp
By the way, try to get a Radio Shack catalog. I managed to get one of the thick ones, and you'd be surprised how much stuff they actually "carry". I say carry, not stock. They still have the ability to get a lot of good stuff compared to what they keep in the stores.
By the way, this was my favorite Radio Shack toy back in the day:
http://tinyurl.com/9argt
~jp
Jon Pickens wrote:

    I used to have one of those! My uncle got it for me and my brother way back I think I was 8. When I was a kid I used to love those radio shack radio kits. They looked like a big wooden board game box. You wire them up in different configs and get different signals. If you did one right it would send a signal.
    I like stores that have items in stock. Sometimes I don't realize what I need until Im standing in front of it. Works that way when I go to Jegs. It's like a 13 year old in a full nude strip club. Charles
Those RS kits were cool! I've actually thought of getting a more advanced version of one of the digital kits just to get a little knowledge on the subject, as I'm trying to get into embedded micro-controllers and need to get some basic D/A and A/D under my belt.
When RS still had a lot of good stuff, I couldn't leave without spending money. Now my biggest problem is eBay. Between truck parts and accessories, guitar related stuff, and just general crap that I run across, I'm always watching like 20 items. Luckily I can restrain myself from buying *most* of it :-)
~jp
Jon R. Pickens wrote:

    Jon I got the harness and brought it home with me. need your address to send it. Charles
I wouldn't trust the module, nor the pick up coil as far as I could throw a K-5. Then there is the vacuum advance with its diaphragm to consider. Remain distribs are under a $100. At the least a used one out of a vehicle that hasn't gone whoosh is under $40.
Whitelightning
New module on the way...was supposed to be for a Caddy, but it's the same one. Cost less than $20 including shipping. Vacuum advance is pretty cheap...like $10 from LMC. They got the capacitor for $8.00.
Way less than $100...
The whole distributor didn't get cooked. Just the upper part. The inside of it wasn't blackened or anything, just dirty. If the wires internally weren't melted, I don't suspect the coil is damaged.
~jp
Jon R. Pickens wrote:

When it comes to cleaning grese, im a fan of the "Fast Orange." After the grease is off, I use soap and water to get off any left over Fast Orange.
Whats your problem with water?
--
Thank you,

Cause water and metal distributor parts don't mix...
~jp
Jon R. Pickens wrote:

I dont see why not? As long as you dry them off you are ok!?
--
Thank you,

I'd rather use brake cleaner or something...just as long as it's non-conductive as Shades mentioned. I don't know if brake or carb cleaner is non-conductive stuff.
~jp
Jon R. Pickens wrote:

dont matter if its conductive or not. No matter what you use *all* of it must be cleaned away before you reassemble it. Thats why I think the only concern is that its not corrosive toward the parts.
--
Thank you,

Actually today I picked up a can of the non-conductive electric motor cleaner as recommended.
That removed a lot of loose debris and allowed the rest to be scraped off cleanly using a small precision screwdriver.
A few more short blasts of cleaner got it cleaner than it was before the fire. I didn't have to do anything to remove the cleaner either--it's super-fast evaporating.
~jp