Blows fuse when going to 4 wheel drive on 92 Silverado ????

Does any one know why I keep blowing the four wheel power fuse when I kick in the four wheel drive.

Thanks!!

Gene

Reply to
Gene & Alice

Does it actually go into 4wd? Sounds like a dead short too me.

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

easy to test, just jack it up witht he rear wheels off the ground and stick it into 4wd, if it goes forward and drags the rear off the jacks then it's working.

Reply to
rnf2

Sounds like a superb way to puncture your gas tank beyond all repair. How about he drives it gingerly on tar, and he should have no problem feeling the front end pull? Just don't turn too sharp, it's bad bad bad for your t-case.

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

how about pulling onto a stretch of gravel road and floor-boarding it in 4WD

if it leaves 4 marks, its working

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

I like Gary's method best.

I would think thats a bad thermal actuator. Check across both wires for zero resistance if so buy a new one or get a Posi-Lok manual actuator.

-Forrest

Reply to
Forrest

Hmm... Maybe I should rephrase it, Jack it up using a jack under the towball/towbar so both rear wheels are off the ground, then drive forward.

I use a hydralic trolley jack, not one of those fiddly lil sissor jacks, it's plenty big enough to lift a Isuzu Bighorn by the towbar.

rhys

Reply to
rnf2

get the revised electromechanical one... it rocks! I've got posted the part #'s many times.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Check the wires that go to the t-case wiring harness throught the floor at the t-case shifter. Seen them shorted and toasted in this area.

Loren.

Reply to
Loren McPherson