Bought a pickup today Re: What can I expect if dealers orders a truck

Gents, thanks a lot, I bought a 2500HD with a 6.0 liter engine, 4wd, crew cab, and got a very decent price for my dodge truck also. So far I am happy with it, the trim and options are on the basic side, but I have basically all I need except a MP3 player.

It also has a snow plow prep package and a towing package. It drives very well and has a feel of having been sturdily built. (but so did the dodge up until recently).

> >>I have done that 2 times. First time, I went to the dealership and had >>never been there before. They ask me to put down $500 on a new >>Silverado in 2000. Ordered it Feb 2nd, it was built the week of Feb >>28th and I received it on March 6th. A little less than 5 weeks. >> >>Second time was the same dealer on a 2003 Silverado. This time there was >>no down payment and they told me to expect 8 weeks for delivery. That >>was Jan 14th. It was built on Feb 17th and I picked it up on Feb 21st. >>A little less than 7 weeks. >> >>Hope this helps. >> >>Karl > one suggestion I might make is make sure you have a out clause in that > if truck is not exactly what you want or if price changes (new rebates > or incentives come out) that it is to your favor not theirs. > TheSnoMan.com
Reply to
Ignoramus5411

Is it a 06 or 07? if you what to plow snow you want a 06 because it has proven and adjustable torsion bar front suspension while starting in 07 they switched to a cheaper non adjustable coil over strut that still uses two control arms and the strut/coil to support weight which also means that changing strut/shock on 07 model will not only be a pain in the A$$ but expensive too. Bad move by GM but without doubt it cost less to use when building them and likely the reason for the change. (it allow for much lighter built lower control arm that cost less to make and no need to beef up frame either where Tbars tied into it either) .

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

it is an 07

Ignoramus17993

forgot to say, it is an '07 classic, which I think is similar to 06.

Ignoramus17993

Yes, the classic is same as the 06. I'm not quite sure why Snoman is saying that the newer style coil/shock style will be harder to work on. I imagine he's never replaced a torsion bar, they are a lot more work then replacing the coil over shock.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

One quick look under it will tell. If it is still old style it will not have any coil springs of any kind up front and will have two heavy torsion bars running up from under cab to lower control arms at pivoit points

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Sorry if I confussed you. What this all means is that GM weakien the front suspension on the newer style that went to coil over. THey reason that I got going on this is things like plowing snow loads front axle extra and the older torsion bar design was adjustable when need be for ride height and easy to work on too, the coil over is not. By them switching to coil over they were able to lighten up frame overall and make more profit per truck because of reduced parts cost. As detriot struggle with sluggish sales and run away labor costs they are always looking for new ways to build truck as cheap as possible and this coil over is such a example.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

OK, I see, thanks.

Ignoramus18163

Not really at all (I guess you have not changed one) With a Tbar unloader tool and some air wrenches and a jack you can have one out in short order where as the coil over you have to remove strut and coil and compress coil to remove it from strut whether to replace shock cartridge or replace coil and then recompress coil and I would rather unload Tbars than compress coils because when a coil "unwinds" by accident it can take you hand or head off. To suggest that a coil over is easier to replace coil or shock is silly unless you are refering maybe to replacing the whole complete unit as one pice and then paying several 100 bucks for it. Then there is strut preload which may be present when suspension is fully extended (like with most coil overs) which means you have that to deal with yjst too so really there is nothing easier about it for repair. Been there, done that...

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Oh for f*ck's sake...I've done hundreds of struts which involves removing a loaded coil spring. I've also done a number of torsion bars, and from someone who actually does this for a living (unlike you), a coil spring is far easier to replace. But there isn't any point in arguing with a dinosaur like yourself. You'll keep fooling the newbies and in the end they'll only have themselves to blame for listening to a fool like yourself.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai