Silverado Question - What The Hell Did I Buy?

Okay, so I trade in my 2000 Suzuki Esteem and get a 1999 Silverado ... it's a long story but suffice to say that I fell in love with a Silverado that I rented for a week and a half while my Esteem was in the shop. So I find the

1999 Silverado and buy it. I've had it for two days, and I'm trying to figure out what I've got. It's an LS, loaded, and has Super Sport emblems on with Chevy striping on the side. I've had it up to seventy and it's only doing 2000 RPMs (it's an automatic), feels like a frigging rocket ship at take off. I've searched high and wide for 1999 Silverados that had a Super Sport option and turned up blanks. Was there a Super Sport option for 1999? That's basically my question. If the answer is no, then I know that I've got some kind of hybrid/mutant monster and will have to do some real sleuthing to figure out what it all has. The dealer where I bought it will probably be the first place I go after I get a reply here. TIA
Reply to
Edward H. Fabrega

I did a google search "1999 Silverado ss" found an interesting thread. It has a 6 liter with 395HP and 18" tires. Not much other info. Sounds sweet.

Reply to
calhoun

well i never heard of a super sport either. could be that the owner before ya put them on. yrs ago i say a s-10 that that on one side said super sport and on ther said super sport 454. i laughed cuz it was a 4 banger. sorry i couldnt help

Reply to
Charles H.

(TOP POST) The answer to your question is pretty simple... All you have too do is call the dealership you bought it from...Give the parts guy your vin number and he can tell you damn near what ever you want to know......Pending on what engine code is in your vin....Stickers mean nothing hell i know a guy who has a 2 wheel drive silverado put a body lift and some stickers on it now he call it a Z71. 4 Wheel drive...Go figure..... Steve C

Silverado Question - What The Hell Did I Buy? Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Mon, Feb 9, 2004, 3:59pm (CST-2) From: snipped-for-privacy@charter.net (Edward=A0H.=A0Fabrega) Okay, so I trade in my 2000 Suzuki Esteem and get a 1999 Silverado ... it's a long story but suffice to say that I fell in love with a Silverado that I rented for a week and a half while my Esteem was in the shop. So I find the 1999 Silverado and buy it. I've had it for two days, and I'm trying to figure out what I've got. It's an LS, loaded, and has Super Sport emblems on with Chevy striping on the side. I've had it up to seventy and it's only doing 2000 RPMs (it's an automatic), feels like a frigging rocket ship at take off. I've searched high and wide for 1999 Silverados that had a Super Sport option and turned up blanks. Was there a Super Sport option for 1999? That's basically my question. If the answer is no, then I know that I've got some kind of hybrid/mutant monster and will have to do some real sleuthing to figure out what it all has. The dealer where I bought it will probably be the first place I go after I get a reply here. TIA

Reply to
S C

The "under the hood" sticker should give you some on the engine size. Let us know your MPG after you go thur a few tanks

Reply to
ken

Probably a 6.0, great power, but problematic engines! It could have very well been a clone job. Not an actual SS, just a standard Silverado with all the stickers. Either way, as mentioned by Ken, the under hood sticker should tell you what you need to know when you do maintenance. Did you get the Owners Manual? Maybe the window sticker? If you did get the window sticker, there is everything you need to know. I don't know if the owners manual would be different for the different trim options.

Reply to
Shades

See if the dealer will give you the phone number of the previous owner. I always do this BEFORE I sign, and make it a condition of the sale. In every case, the PO has been very forthright in describing the history and any problems he's had. H

Reply to
Hairy

well been a clone job. Not an

you need to know when you do

window sticker, there is

different for the different trim

FYI, the Silverado SS didn't come out till '03, so it's badging that may very well have been put on by the dealer. If it's a 1500, biggest engine it'll have is the 5.3. The REAL SS does have the 6.0, but it didn't start till '03, when the new front came out.

Go to the service department and ask them to print a build sheet for your truck. That'll give a list of EVERYTHING that went on the truck at the factory, and will also tell you if the truck was special-ordered or was a for-stock order.

Reply to
Mike Levy

The SS Silverado's were in existence LONG before '03! They were short-bed 454 powered 2WD rockets! I know that the new-body '99s and up didn't have an SS till the ugly fronts which I don't think are worthy to carry the previous SS's spare tire! Just my humble opinion!

| | FYI, the Silverado SS didn't come out till '03, so it's badging that | may very well have been put on by the dealer. If it's a 1500, biggest | engine it'll have is the 5.3. The REAL SS does have the 6.0, but it | didn't start till '03, when the new front came out. | | Go to the service department and ask them to print a build sheet for | your truck. That'll give a list of EVERYTHING that went on the truck | at the factory, and will also tell you if the truck was | special-ordered or was a for-stock order. | | >

Reply to
Shades

As for the 6.0, I wasn't sure. I am not even sure of the body style of the '99 owned by Mr. Fabrego...

| | FYI, the Silverado SS didn't come out till '03, so it's badging that | may very well have been put on by the dealer. If it's a 1500, biggest | engine it'll have is the 5.3. The REAL SS does have the 6.0, but it | didn't start till '03, when the new front came out. | | Go to the service department and ask them to print a build sheet for | your truck. That'll give a list of EVERYTHING that went on the truck | at the factory, and will also tell you if the truck was | special-ordered or was a for-stock order. | | >

Reply to
Shades

454 powered 2WD rockets! I know

don't think are worthy to carry

that was the 454 SS which was a C1500 with Silverado TRIM.... it only lasted from '90 to 93 I believe.

-Bret

very well been a clone job. Not an

what you need to know when you do

the window sticker, there is

different for the different trim

Reply to
Bret Chase

No SS option in '99 here in the states...

My guess is that it's just some custom work that a private owner did. Most common mods to start with woud be a louder exhaust and some sort of an intake. (not intake manifold, but intake tube). Does yours have either of the above?

Here are some codes to look for in the glove box, that will ID the factory installed motor:

LQ4 - 6.0 LM4 - 5.3 LR4 - 4.8

2,000rpm on the highway - I'm guessing 3.42, maybe 3.73 gearing.

When you say it's quick off the line, I'm wondering if there is an aftermarket torque converter in there. What RPM's do you see when you put it down from a stop? Normally factory Silverado's are alittle doggy off the line. You'll see the tach jump to 1600-1800 briefly as the truck leaves. The common aftermarket converters flash to 2600 or 3000 at takeoff. The 2600 is supposed to be very stealthy, except from a stop. I'm actually waiting to install one in my truck...

Reply to
Marc Westerlind

Just curious . did you buy it from a Chevrolet Dealership or one of those "Cars 'R' Us" kinda sales lots? if it wasn't a Chevy dealership maybe just look at some of the other cars on the lot and see if they have any odd decals....but anyway enjoy your New Chevy ! I just bought an 98 3500 4x4 ex-cab dually for my business. I love it ! Have a Great One ! Bob :)

Reply to
JustaBenz Perkins Racing