Brake warning lamp behavior

I have a 96 S10 4X4. The ABS has been broken for the last 5 years. IT appears that the ABS warning lamp has finally burnt out. But...now the Brake warning lamp is on.

My question: IF the ABS warning lamp burns out, is the ECU smart enough to transfer its function over to the brake warning lamp? In others words is the brake warning lamp telling me my ABS lamp is burnt out or do I have an actual brake failure not related to the ABS module? (I should say that the brakes work as they always have)

Reply to
jmagerl

You're over complicating the issue. Whenever you have a brake warning light that's an indication that there is a potential problem requiring immediate attention.

Did you even check the reservoirs? Or did you just come here to post about it?

Don't speculate, investigate. If you don't know enough about the brake system to troubleshoot and fix it yourself please take it immediately to someone who does. If it is a daily use vehicle you don't have the luxury of time to learn about brakes.

Priorities for all motor vehicles:

1 Brakes

2 Steering

3 Everything else

Till your brakes are fixed I don't want you on the road with me!

Reply to
nonsense

Please let us know when you are going to be driving again.... So WE CAN STAY out of your Dangerous ways

jmagerl wrote:

Reply to
tom

Both the ABS and the Brake warning lights would come on from time to time on my '01 3500 Duramax . The first time it did we were on a mountain road and I was very concerned about it. A review of the manual indicated it might or might not be a real problem and gave a short procedure to go through to test the system. After going through the procedure the lights went out and we continued down the mountain. The next day I took it to the local Chevy dealer and they couldn't find any brake error codes. They did find a code indicating all the computers hadn't communicated properly for a period of time.

I inadvertently replicated the condition that caused the problem several more times while I had the truck, but never had an actual brake problem. I concluded it was a software error that under certain conditions caused the ABS and brake warning lights to come on.

Ron

Reply to
Ron Recer

Separate circuits and warnings. The ABS light on says there is a problem with the ABS unit or one of the ABS sensors.

The Brake Light on says the problem is with the base brake system OR the Parking brake is on a couple of notches.

You need to discover what the problem is. If you feel the brakes are still working OK then the problem is likely with the rear brakes. Look for a rotted brake line or failed wheel cylinder.

Reply to
Steve W.

My 04 Dodge did the same thing. Took it to the dealer and they told me the anti-lock brake system gets "confused" on twisty roads because it compares the individual wheel RPM's, and when you make lots of turns in a short period of time it thinks there is a problem.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Check the ABS fuse under the hood. If it burns out or is removed, it will cause the service brake light to illuminate, as well as the ABS light.

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

Funny, the hint of the ABS has beeen broken for years skipped you....

Ya thing if he didn't get that fixed, this would be different?

Reply to
topprolmc

Does his past behavior invalidate the points I made?

Sorry for the rhetorical question.

No, it doesn't.

Reply to
nonsense