corsa warning lamp

my daughters friend has a warning lamp iluminated on the dash which shows an engine in a box, and a box inside the rev counter with EPS lit up. a pal says it means her head gasket is blown,and his pal can sort it for £250+ ANY ADVICE WELCOMED

Reply to
jimb123

a for a day job your pal does what ? if he's not a mechanic tell him not to give up his day job, a little knowledge is dangerous !

it would be nice if vehicles were fitted with a head gasket warning light, save hell of a lot of time.

the light means she has a fault somewhere, needs putting on diagnostic machine and the fault/s downloaded & read. EPS might mean she has a problem with the Electric Power Steering if fitted.

Reply to
reg

does diagnostics have to be done at a franchise and would the warning light stop the engine from starting

Reply to
jimb123

most garages have some sort of diagnostic equipment these days, your best bet is to ring various garages, to see if they have the equipment & if so how much, the actual warning light wouldn't stop the engine from starting, its telling you have a problem somewhere to do with the engine management side. most cars go into limp mode, which means you can still drive the car safely.

we have the equipment & just as a guide we charge £25.00 to plug the vehicle onto it.

Reply to
reg

He's talking shit. On my sis in laws Cavalier, the same lamp was lit when a vacuum pipe split.

The light is a warning from the ECU telling you something is wrong. What you now do is take the car to a garage which can read the fault codes.

Reply to
Conor

She's heading for a rip-off. What car/engine is it? The EPS lamp lit means that there is a fault with the "Electronic Power Steering" (if it's a Corsa, for example) The other lamp shows that the engine management system has detected a fault. Needs to be taken to a competant garage and plugged into a diagnostics computer. How old is the car? If it's a Corsa and its less than 3 years old, has done less than 60,000 it might be covered by Vauxhall's 3 year warranty.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Spam