Carb or Throttle Body?

Just stick with fuel injection. If you buy a carbed motor, just yank the intake and carb off and use your old intake and throttle body.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Turn the key, fire it up! Fuel injection may be evil, it may be a pain to work on, but I say its worth the effort when its 4am, and the truck starts first try.

Reply to
Trey

Hi, I blew the engine in my 1992 blazer s10 and i'm looking for an engine, but which do you think would be the best for it, fuel injected or carburated? Just looking for people's input. Thanks

Reply to
Matt

I agree, the worst fuel injection that GM made is better than the best carburation.

Reply to
NoSpam

I don't think so...........granted they have come a long way since TBI. Injection is more emissions friendly but it can't hold a candle to carburetion for raw power and reliability. Uh-oh it's 4am and your car wont start...............

Reply to
Mad Dog

Thats right, flooded the damn thing again after the "automatic" choke crapped out again.

With my truck, I just just in and go. dont have to pump the gas, no high idle, no gasoline smell when I shut it off. Its never too rich or too lean, dont have to re-adjust it when I go in the mountains. Yes, its very common to get more low end torque with a carb. As for raw power? Maybe, but not so in terms or fuel efficientcy. Sure, you need big power to pull that trailer, but it would be nice to make it there on less then seven tanks of gas.

I will grant you this though, a Carberator is MUCH simpler then a fuel injection system. However, I have had a carberator somehow vibrate loose on me and leak gas all over the intake manifold. Not entirely sure how that happened.

Reply to
Trey

I don't think that's the posters goal, to make raw horsepower. As well given a stock motor the TBI system will make more power. Where not talking about top fuel engines here. It's a 1992 Blazer S-10.

Brian

Reply to
NoSpam

Flat out absolutely wrong.

There are plenty of things on a carbureted engine that can fail and keep the engine from starting at 4 am., including the carburetor.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

On both a TBI & a carb system retorquing the bolts is supposed to be part of the under-hood matenance procedure. My 305CUI carb K5 blazer that ran about as well as I'd expect a carb too got about 14MPH. My 350 CUI TBI F/S Jimmy (blazer) that runs about as well as I'd expect a stock TBI system too gets about 14MPG. Apples to oranges - but when purchasing I wanted to get 16-18MPG for the new truck. Not like I care though!

~KJ/TLMG Suck> > I don't think so...........granted they have come a long way since

Reply to
KJ

Would you mind expanding on this just a little?

Reply to
Trey

What made more power per cubic inch, a 1979 Turbo Buick Regal or a 1987 Buick Grand National?

One was carbureted, one had sequential electronic fuel injection.

Since the SEFI engine does not rely on air flow and manifold distribution to place the correct amount of fuel at the intake valve, wilder camshaft profiles are able to be utilized for a given level of driveability. With EFI, intake manifolds can be designed to accommodate a wider RPM range where optimal torque can be achieved because among other things, fuel puddling is no longer a concern.

Emissions is pretty much a moot point because a multitude of sins can be corrected with a catalytic convertor. But the advantage does go to fuel injection here for the above reasons plus the fact that fuel can be shut off completely during deceleration where a carbureted engine would have had to resort to gulp valves and such nonsense.

Reliability, even though GM still can't build a fuel injector worth a damn, they still usually last many miles longer than what a carbureted engine would go before it needed a carburetor overhaul/new choke pull-off/float/mixture adjustment/etc. As for the rest of the electonics, GM cars and trucks have had electronic ignition since 1975, so beginning 29 years ago, you were but one shorted output transistor away from tennis shoe mode anyway.

The fastest drag cars use fuel injection. The fastest circle track cars use fuel injection. The fastest road course cars use fuel injection.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

try 73 for HEI!

GM can't build an injector worth a damn?

They use Bosch injectors, or a Bosch style. As does Dodge/Chrysler from being injected German and also Ford.

Ford never even considered an E-PROM till 97, GM had it in some vehicles as early as 1989. Dodge/Chrysler I'm not certain of, but I'm sure they used an E-PROM before Ford did.

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Actually, HEI was officially introduced in '75 (at least in Chevys). However, I bought a new '74 Caprice Classic convertible that was built late in the model year and it had HEI. It took about 3 weeks for the module to fail and a week for the dealer to diagnose and fix it. It was the first HEI they'd seen. H

Reply to
Hairy

HEI was an option in 73 and 74, it didn't become standard until

1975.

Nope, they can't/couldn't/still can't.

They're called 'Multec' injectors, a Rochester product, and they fail often. A scant few engines came with Bosch injectors back in the mid 80s.

Wherein lies the difference... Chrysler and Ford are smart enough to pick a more reliable vendor.

Sure, GM had an E-PROM in 89 and all you could do with it at the dealership level was erase it. Right now (2004) Ford gets the nod for the fastest processors in their PCMs.

Chrysler digital instrument clusters had an E-PROM that was addressable at the dealership service level in the mid-late 80s.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

But I believe that Cadillac and Corvette had the HEI in 1973. Won't swear to it but I believe that's correct.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

Yup, My '73 RS/Z-28 sure does have factory HEI.

Reply to
Demon