Dealer scamming extended warrantee company?

A friend of mine who purchased a 1998 Chevy Blazer last year took the vehicle in for inspection because the "Check Engine Light" was on. She took the vehicle to the GM dealer here in the small town where we live. She was told that her transmission was bad and would need to be replaced.

Another friend of ours here in town heard from her husband that one of the "shade tree" mechanics in town had been hired by the GM dealer to rebuild a transmission for a chevy blazer and was in a hurry to get it done, because the dealer needed the transmission back by the following day, which is the same day that the dealer had promised my friend her Blazer would be completed.

We are all very concerned that the transmission being rebuilt by this uncertified mechanic is the transmission from our friend's vehicle. If our suspicions are correct, the dealer has (defrauded??) the warranty company and my friend.

Would this be acceptable business practice?

Any advice or suggestions on how to resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance, Brigitte

Reply to
Brigitte J.

The trans is covered by the dealers warranty. Whether it was rebuilt by a dealer mechanic or 12 yr old billy at the end of the block. Tell her to make sure she gets the warranty in writing on the bill. The warranty companies, most of the time, tell the dealer/mechanic what they will pay for a repair instead of asking what the repair will cost. They may have felt they could not pay one of their own mechanics to do the rebuild for what the warranty was willing to pay. Besides the "shade tree" mechanic may have been a retired mechanic or worked for a trans shop and was doing the rebuild on the side (i.e. he knew what he was doing). I have seen small shops contract out repairs, the main point is as long as the dealer got paid they are responsible if it was done incorrectly. It happens, personally I would want to know in detail why a GM remanufactured trans was not installed and why the dealer chose to rebuilt it themselves... I suspect their answer will echo my comments earlier in this post. So in short no they are not (technically) scamming the warranty company. They are still responsible for the quality of the repair.

Get the warranty in writing on the bill... My local dealer warranties all repairs for a year or 12k miles. Some only go 6 mo on repairs but a GM reman trans gets as 36mo/36k warranty from GM, independent of the dealer.

good luck, mark

Reply to
rock_doctor

[...]

Gary Glaenzer

[...]

Mark, Thanks for your reply. I will make sure to tell my friend to ask those important questions, and to also get the warranty in writing.

Brigitte

Reply to
Brigitte J.

(reply inline) Dealer scamming extended warrantee company? Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Sat, Oct 25, 2003, 4:47pm (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@rocketmail.com (Brigitte=A0J.) A friend of mine who purchased a 1998 Chevy Blazer last year took the vehicle in for inspection because the "Check Engine Light" was on.

(Sounds like a good reason to go...)

She took the vehicle to the GM dealer here in the small town where we live.

(cant be too small of a town if they have a Dealership)

She was told that her transmission was bad and would need to be replaced.

(Why did it need replaced?)

Another friend of ours here in town heard from her husband that one of the "shade tree" mechanics in town had been hired by the GM dealer (Good to see people moving up in the world)

to rebuild a transmission for a chevy blazer

(Wait you said they were gonna replace it...Replace and Rebuild are too different things..So what were they gonna do to the transmission? Replace it ....Or Rebuild it?

and was in a hurry to get it done, because the dealer needed the transmission back by the following day,

(Tends to be a everyday thing at a dealership.....)

which is the same day that the dealer had promised my friend her Blazer would be completed.

(And) We are all very concerned that the transmission being rebuilt by this uncertified mechanic

(Being uncertified doesn't mean he can't do the work... Now does it? ....Does the guy rebuild trannys for a living? Do YOU know the guy?How do you know he cant do it.?

is the transmission from our friend's vehicle. If our suspicions are correct, the dealer has (defrauded??) the warranty company and my friend.

(OK .....How was anyone defrauded?If they said it needed a new tranny..Then they should have put a new tranny in...But if they said they needed to rebuild the tranny and rebuilt it ....What exactly did the warrenty company ok? A new tranny or a rebuild? Example saying it needs a tranny and just changing a switch ....(fraud)....Saying they are putting a (NEW)tranny in and putting a rebuilt in(Fraud)

Would this be acceptable business practice?

(You still havent stated a case....What were you told and what did the warrenty company ok? Who does the work doesnt matter Dealers send off parts to get rebuilt all the time...Just because YOU think the guy cant do it dont mean he cant)

Any advice or suggestions on how to resolve this issue?

(There is no issue.......When you get the truck back and you start having problems with it then you have an issue..And the Dealer will have to fix it...Before you make yourself look like an idiot......Drive the truck first you havent even got it back yet and your complianing.....Just because he said she said ?I think your jumping the gun..You need to be more clear and answer the questions I asked amd I can tell you if they frauded your friend.....If you leave it like you have it posted here....Youll just get the same questions later... Thanks in advance,

(Any time) Brigitte

(Nice name mine is) Steve C

Reply to
Steve Cook

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D unaware that a stalker was in the room.... snipped-for-privacy@rocketmail.com (Brigitte=A0J.) came in the room all alone and put forth this.....

We are all very concerned that the transmission being rebuilt by this uncertified mechanic

Any advice or suggestions on how to resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance,

Brigitte =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D The_Gear snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Steve=A0Cook) =A0=A0 There is no issue.......When you get the truck back and you start having problems with it then you have an issue..And the Dealer will have to fix it.

Any time,

Nice name mine is Steve C ////////////////////////////////// Steve.....Steve.......Steve,

how many times have i told you....

leave the girls alone Steve.

RUN LITTLE GIRL......RUN ........

marshmonster ~is sure all will be well with your delima.... but you better watch ole steve~

Reply to
Marsh Monster