Fancy spark plugs? Better performance gap?

I'm getting ready to change my spark plugs. I've been using AC or Bosch standard configuration plugs. I keep seeing ads for the SplitFire plugs and even some Bosch 2 or 4 conductor plugs. Rather than blow the cash and find out for myself, does anyone have anything good to say about these style plugs? I know how they're SUPPOSED to work, but do you actually notice a power gain or any increased fuel efficiency?

Either way, does anyone have some advice on where to set the gap for a typical 5.7 liter with 155k miles on it? I've just been using the gap that Checker Auto Parts gives me with new plugs.

Thanx, Derek

Reply to
Derek Schwartz

Derek,

If your planning on trying out any modified electrode plugs go with the AC Delco Rapidfire as Doc pointed out. These plugs 'do' work as advertised plus there about $3 each, less than splitfire and other platinum plugs. But they will wear out, unlike platinum tip plugs. Also these are AC branded products.

These plugs are 'pregapped'

BTW i've tried Bosh platinums, and the AC's resulted in a smoother idle.

Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

Cool. Thanks for the quick response! With a review like that, I'll go out and grab a set tomorrow!!

Thanks- Derek

Reply to
Derek Schwartz

No problem; lemme know how you like em'. I've used them in everything from

1.5L 4-bangers to 7.4 liter big blocks with great results in each application. Take em out after 20k or so to re-gap and clean em' up and they'll last another 20k after that.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Doc,

Why .035 as opposed to the sticker in the engine bay that says .060? And on another note, I've seen it recommended by the manufacturer of the plugs to be at .045 for the same vehicle that says .060. I've never understood the difference the gap makes. Can anyone clear it up?

Brandonb

Reply to
Brandon Buckner

A brief answer, and others can go into detail if they wish. The gap controls how "hot" the spark is. Not sure on the recommendations by Doc, but my guess is that the multiple electrodes (or electrode points on a single electrode) cause a variance in the recommended gap. The actual distance of the gap is NOT the real issue, but the intensity of the spark is. The distance for the gap is just the way to control that. Perhaps a bit over simplified, but should get you a better understanding 'till someone with a deeper knowledge wants to expound further.

Big Chris

Reply to
Big Chris

It actually has to do with voltage, electrode area, and the internal compression pressures. If you running an MSD or other ignition system that has voltages higher than stock then you could go to .060. But most ignition systems like to see 0.035 at the normal compresion pressures. However, Rapidfire plugs are gapped from the factory (at at\round 0.040) for the intended application because of their electrode area.

Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

Derek Schwartz wrote in news:Hyg0b.962$ snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net:>

The plugs I took out were Autolite's and the electrodes were melted at

Why am I not surprised. Autolites are the worst junk out there, yet a lot of people swear by them. Anytime I've used them in the past (parent's car). They have melted or in two seperate instances...exploded.

Reply to
David