Flex-a-lite electric fans?

Anyone running Flex-a-lite electric fans in their late model truck or SUV?

I've been hearing about a handfull or two of failed F-a-L variable speed controls which caused melted fuse holders and drained batteries.

I'm looking to poll readers here for some feedback...

Thanks,

-marc

Reply to
Marc Westerlind

I would be very interested to hear info also. Just a small addition, anyone running and electric with a Diesel?

Reply to
Brian

I've not heard of or seen any diesels running electric fans on trucks (big or small)... I don't know why? I would assume that some of the diesel cars like the Jetta and others have electric fans, but as far as I know none of the pick-ups or larger trucks run electric fans.

I know both flex-a-lite and perma-cool make a dual fan setup for gas pick-ups.

I wonder if you could do something similar with two spal 16' electric fans and a wiring harness from painless... cheaper and get similar cooling performance.

I like the setup from perma-cool but I've never seen anyone who has it, plus its fairly expensive........ and I'm unsure if it performs any better than a stock fan-clutch setup? I know the electric fans should pull more air at idle and very low engine rpm but I wonder overall if they do a better job.

Both vendors quote some performance values in CFM (cubic feet per minute) but I wonder if those numbers approach what a stock setup with a fan-clutch will do. I have a 92 K1500 with a 350 and aftermarket radiator along with a good radiator (stock) shroud, with a HD GM fan clutch and an aftermarket flex-a-lite fan-clutch fan which seems to work good for me. It really pulls some air through the radiator, of course I have no way of knowing what kind of CFM numbers would apply.

I don't want to spend $500.00 plus to find out the stock cooling setup out performs the aftermarket electric.

Reply to
Elbert

controls which caused melted fuse holders and drained batteries.

I don't know of anyone running a F-a-L, but I do know a couple people that have Ford Taurus 2 speed electric fans in their pickups. They're 14 or 16" (can't remember) and are 1400cfm. Thats a cheaper way to go for electrics, go to your local pick-a-part to find one cheap.

Reply to
Demon

Seconded. This is a great upgrade for S-series trucks in particular.

Reply to
burntkat