Anyone change fans on late model Jetta??

I have 2 radiator fans that are not working at low speed. There are options such as rigging a resistor so the low speed works, and I may consider this, but I have 2 new fans on order and want to know if anyone has changed them? I see in my 'book' that I have to remove the FRONT END of the car.. which does not sound easy... but does not look to difficult in the manual I have.. so just wondering if anyone can give me a difficulty factor on this?

Thanks for any comments,

Scott

Reply to
Scott C

My car is a 2001 VR6 if that matters.

sc

Reply to
Scott C

Since it's a VR6 it will take a bit longer but still should be something you can handle. VW time is 2.2hours so figure about 4 hours for the DIYer. The steps are

1- remove the front bumper cover which is easy 2- put front into what's called service position 3- remove radiator along with fans

Does your manual have pictures, if not I may be able to find some to e-mail you.

Reply to
Woodchuck

I have the steps in the book.. the service position has me a bit confused, as it looks like some long bolts (2) are put in place to hold the front of the car away from the frame while you take out the radiator.

Any pix would be appreciated.

please send to scottcov(out)@attbi.com

remove the (out) from the above address.

Thanks for the help.

sc

Reply to
Scott C

The service position uses two long 8mm about 4 inches long(100mm) and the only purpose is to support the radiator carrier while you pull it out some. I have already done it without the long bolts by just setting the carrier on a box. If I can I will try to get some pictures together on Sunday some time

Reply to
Woodchuck

Great, thanks.

sc

Reply to
Scott C

There are a couple of pictures of a 1994 Jetta 2.0 during a radiator replacement on this site.

Not sure if it helps you out any since yours is a VR6. :-) I know that I replaced the idler fan on a 93 Passat VR6 without too much trouble, but not the main radiator fan. Jetta is probably tighter!

dave

Thanks.. looks spooky to me..

sc

Reply to