fuel injector rebuild?

Hello all,

I just had a LOF and the turn switch assembly changed on my 98 Jimmy, the mechanic asked what I was going to do with it since I have 115K miles. I told I was going to run it as long as I could until it became more money to repair that it worth.

The below is just a summary of what I remember and not actually his words.

He told me that there is a common problem that could start with the injectors, he said that the hose lines are of a hard plastic and that over time they start to crack and cause an injector problem and that the hoses and injector and gasket need to be replaced. He showed me the work involved about the removed of the upper parts to get to the injectors. He told me around 1000 to do the job when it happens. I have already had the trans rebuilt at 95K. I have read other posts and see everyone goes through the same problems around the same mileage or a bas design like the seat release that breaks or the turn signal switch that goes bad causing the relay to make noise, etc. I just want to be aware of my future with the truck.

Thanks for your advice,

Dave

Reply to
Dave

He's more or less correct. The injectors themselves if not already up-graded are prone to sticking and plugging. The fuel pressure regulator may eventually leak. The plastic feed/return lines inside the manifold crack with age and leak. The rich running condition caused by any or all of the above allows carbon build up which eventually breaks loose and gets caught in the EGR valve resulting in stalling at idle and loss of power brake assist. The lower intake manifold gaskets will leak coolant either externally or internally (watch for coolant loss), any air that makes its way into the cooling system from the manifold gasket leaks will cause the Dexcool to coagulate and eventually plug the heater core. And, at 115K miles, you're probably close to needing a water pump.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

You can do the fuel spider and intake gasket replacement yourself in about an hour for maybe $300 all told. It will likely take you a little longer to pull the intake plenum/cover the first time but after doing it once, you should be able to do it in about 20-30min. As I recall, a deep 10mm socket is your friend on this one. There's an ebay seller that carries OEM GM parts at a great price. I bought my new spider from him and never looked back. I wouldn't pay $1000 for this job but then again, that's just me. There's a chance that you can replace the pressure reg on the pass side of the fuel spider - I believe 'Help!' makes a kit. All you need for that is a small torx security bit and it usually comes with the reg. As well, it may simply be the 'nut kit' which is the plastic hard lines that secure to the spider/regulator itself. The best thing to do is to pull the manifold tuning valve and look into the plenum/intake for either pools of fuel or very clean and shiny spots (to indicate fuel leakage). As well, you will often get a miss on cyl#1 as there's a weeping hole right above it that will leak fuel directly into the cyl.

I hope this helps. Again, as always... Check the fuel pressure first and go from there. If it doesn't hold above 56-58 for a few minutes, there's a leak and it's likely to be under the plenum. I've also seen the test port cause the leak though and that has a replaceable shraeder valve in it. If you do replace the nut kit, be sure to keep it as the valve/test port unscrews from the rail and can be very handy as a replacement (as is the bracket and torx screw to hold it on).

Good luck and let us know how you make out. Andrew.

Reply to
AWN

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

BEST ADVICE ......NO CHARGE ::

read slow.........cuz i don't type fast...................

Go price a NEW truck of "Like" ....make, model, style !!!

Then......take that price....devide by 10..... (10...being the number of years you've had this truck)

and aske yerself this...........

"How much.....do i reeeeeely....like THIS truck ! ! ??"

and then..........

take into account what that Chrysler dude said...and his cohert with the sad name.

and...before you make the FINAL answer to that question..... think about this...........would you look any less stupid....... spending the savings onna trip to the Carribian while driving yer CURRENT truck.....than you would asking for the loan at the bank to take the trip...........that drove to with yer NEW truck??

:)

~:~ MarshMonster ~takes a toke......mmmmmmmmmm..........goood stufffff~:~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster