FYI: Colorado Recall

I received a recall from Chevy today. It is for the brake light switch. I have a '05 4 WD Frank

Reply to
Frank S.

Yeah...just had to order one of those on Friday.

By the way, to all Colorado owners (4x4). Just a note of caution.....the spare tire on these vehicles is a full size, but for some reason it is not the same circumference as the regular tires on the vehicles.

We've seen 2 or 3 Colorado's come in the shop with the front diffs basically melted because the person had a flat tire, threw the spare tire on, and then ran in 4hi with the spare tire. Obviously, the front diff is the weak point when it comes to driveline binding.

So check your spare tire, if it doesn't match the circumference of your regular tires, use it, just don't use 4hi unless you are in low traction conditions. These other customers frankly deserve what they got, as nobody should be running a truck on high traction surfaces with

4hi engaged.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Yeah, my '06 has 285's with a 235 spare.

Reply to
Commentator

Well, since 285 tells you the width, we have no way of knowing if a 235 will have the same CIRCUMFERENCE (which is the length around the tire and has absolutely nothing to do with the width).

Reply to
Sigwings

Sorry if I assumed a level of intelligence you are missing.

Both are /75R15. Think you can manage to figure out the rest?

Smartass.

Reply to
Commentator

Reply to
Frank S.

The tires are running 30 psi.

And BTW, I made a typo - my '06 has 265's, not 285's.

Reply to
Commentator

There is a sticker on the drivers door that tells you what the factory wants in the tires. It's a good place to start.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Its the place to stay unless you change tires, ie load rating. Not following the recommendations can cause issue. Look at the first 4 years of Corvair. Chevy said 19 psi for the front tires, but old timers in the field felt that was too low Going to a higher pressure caused handling issues, that were corrected when Chevy put a sway bar on the front axle. Chevy knew there could be handling issues because of suspension loading because of the light nose and rear suspension design. By recommending a lower tire pressure in the front, this off set the loading issues, and handling wouldn't have been any more of a problem for the rear engine corvair then it was for the early Porsches, VW's, or rear engine Citroens, Fiats and Renaults of the same era. Sometimes those engineers really do know what the hell they are talking about.. Of course they ended up adding a 6 dollar sway bar because people seldom follow the recommendations. It should be noted that the Cadillac Eldarodo used the same thinking only in reverse, 19 psi in the rear tires to balance handling.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Then you have no issue with CIRCUMFERENCE...

Reply to
topprolmc

the 75 refers to percentage of width added to the base diameter. There is a difference in circumference here.

Reply to
George Jaynes

but 'circumference' doesn't matter... or so some say...

Reply to
jrk

Really?

Try the math.

(First, make the correction I made in another post, to 265's, not 285's. And before you make a smartass comment, this shrinks the difference, but most decidedly does not eliminate it)

Sidewall height: 265 * .75 = 198.75 To inches: 198.75 / 25.4 = 7.82 Total tire height: 15 + (2 * 7.82) = 30.65 Circumference: 30.65 * 3.14 = 96.24

And for the spare:

Sidewall height: 235 * .75 = 176.25 To inches: 176.25 / 25.4 = 6.94 Total tire height: 15 + (2 * 6.94) = 28.88 Circumference: 28.88 * 3.14 = 90.66

Thanks for playing.

Reply to
Commentator