Has Chevrolet gone mad??

Here in Germany, I went to the Chevy dealer the other day to get my Trailblazer serviced. There I glanced into the showroom just to see some new shiny Chevy trucks - but, to my surprise, no Chevys at all. Gone, vanished. Then I asked the dealer about what's going on. He told me that new American-built Chevrolets are no longer sold in Germany, instead they now sell cheap Korean-built Daewoos as Chevrolets (they even have the bow-tie) and, consequently, Chevrolet is now going to sell cheap substandard cars. No more Tahoes and Trailblazers, but small Asian city hoppers. If I still want an American car I should by Cadillac or Chrysler. Hey - what kind of marketing decision is that supposed to be? Can somebody tell me please what's behind that all?? Is Chevy going bankrupt ?

Andreas

Reply to
A.Muewi

I suspect sales figures. If they aren't selling then they aren't going to bother shipping them over.

-- Dave

Reply to
Slap

Hmm wonder if the price of fuel had anything to do with it. I talked to a guy in England the other day and gas was approximately $7 per gallon, that could have something to do with it.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Welcome to the NWO... globalism can no longer be blamed on "liberals" and "third world countries". Tri-lateralism has much more of the same yet in store for us... we might-as-well get used to it.

GC

Reply to
GC

Yeah.,... how's that crack habit going for you, BTW?

Reply to
burntkat

Andreas: "If I still want an American car I should by Cadillac or Chrysler."

BTW... Chrysler isn't American, it's owned by a German company; Diamler.

Reply to
GC

I would say that that is a really good possibilty. A vehical that costs the equivlant of 200 bucks to fill up and gets poor MPG too is going to be a dust collector on the showroom floor.

Reply to
SnoMan

Uh, it's the gas mileage, guy. If those lunk-heads at GM would put a decent diesel in their American-built trucks they might sell a few in Europe. Course that would require at least the brains God gave a gnat and that's more than can be found in GM's executive suites.

Reply to
GRL

Actually, one will not be able to truly consider Chrysler a German company when their cars' electrical systems become overly-complicated and very, very prone to fail.

Reply to
GRL

GRL... gas prices; yes and no. Surely GM has some sense of world markets, oil prices/futures, political agendas, etc, etc. This is falling very much into line with bringing the world "on-line", as part of a global community of corporate/political interests... where every country is inter-twined with and co-dependant of each other. The one to suffer, and relinquish the most will be American manufacturers. I just wonder how much longer we'll be able to get parts for our older '70's and '80's Chevy/GMC trucks, etc.

A little 'oil for the bearings': "We are grateful to The Washington Post, The New York Times, Time Magazine and other great publications whose directors have attended our meetings and respected their promises of discretion for almost forty years. It would have been impossible for us to develop our plan for the world if we had been subject to the bright lights of publicity during those years. But, the work is now much more sophisticated and prepared to march towards a world government. The supranational sovereignty of an intellectual elite and world bankers is surely preferable to the national autodetermination practiced in past centuries." ---David Rockefeller, founder of the Trilateral Commission, in an address to a meeting of The Trilateral Commission, in June, 1991

Reply to
GC

HI !

don't worry, chevy will come back next year. They separated American GM and European ( Opel ). We have the same problem in france.

In france chevrolet ( daewoo ) talking about send in january 2006, the SUV chevy S3X and the HHR.

Chevy also talking about building a 4 cyl 2.0L diesel in a korean factory for european cars . And with the new cadillac BTS ( based on a saab 93 ) it should be a good start to do a good comeback.

david.

A.Muewi a écrit :

Reply to
david

THANK YOU, thank you.....

We have a winner.

GM won't build the truck I want-- solid axles, diesel engine, and all in a midsize SUV-- so I am building it out of my 1989 S-series Blazer.

Wife has thought I'm nuts for the last 5 years since I first mentioned going to solid front axle [ I admit I was doing it for trail riding and was originally going to put a SBC in the engine bay in lieu of the present 4.3- for improved mileage and overall performance]

I am a recent convert to the idea of a diesel repower, though. Plan is to run an Olds Diesel, and run a WVO system with biodiesel as my start/purge mix. I'm about to give Opec and the petroleum industry as a whole, the finger... and give myself about a $5000/year raise in the process.

Once I explained that to the wife-- she seemed to realize I'm not as crazy as she thought- and is now considering having me transplant a diesel into her Jeep as well.

Reply to
burntkat

Source?

Reply to
Warren Post
10 to 1 we get a slew of right-wing conspiracy nutjob websites as "reliable sources"...
Reply to
burntkat

From: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

10 to 1 we get a slew of right-wing conspiracy nutjob websites as "reliable sources"...

Wrong... think for yourself, I'm not here to figure anything for anyone. The post was to someone else, they can do with it as they please.

GC

Reply to
GC

the only nut-jobs i know of are called Liberals

Conservatives are the best people on Earth

the whackos out there really should go follow Jim Jones

Reply to
I'm Right

I agree with you about the liberals-- but I also think the far right sorts are in the same boat.

Extremity either way is a good indicator of foolishness.

Reply to
burntkat

Maybe you're right. Gas prices are rising at an incredible pace, although

200 buck per fill-up seems to be slightly exaggerated (:-;

Moreover, there is the strict German exhaust legislation: they even consider taxing the total amount of exhaust coming out of the pipe and that would mean a further restraint in buying big American cars.

But there may be two more reasons for Chevrolet for not selling big SUVs in Europe anymore: the first is, they don't offer Diesel engines in those cars - here everybody goes for Diesels because that fuel is much less expensive than regular gas, and second: I think Chevrolet hasn't made a lot of profit from their cars so far - they gave huge rebates on their regular showroom prices, which means that an average VW Golf (big-selling small size car here) is about the same price as a Chevy Trailblazer. Now it is all Cadillac at my dealer, but to much higher prices than Chevvies and still no Diesels. This won't work either, I guess

Overall, this is REALLY BAD MARKETING - a short-sighted strategy. There hasn't been practically any advertising, no Diesel engines available to please the customers. So they had to lower their sales prices down to no-profit. Train Chevrolet managers at KIA or Toyota, they know how to sell cars.

On the whole I am really sad about this development - Chevy still builds good solid cars, at least, my Trailblazer is one of this rare breed. And, it's something special here in Europe.

Andreas

Reply to
A.Muewi

Not really, if it is $7 a gallon and you have a 34 gallon truck like my truck or 40 gallon like my older suburban, $200 plus fill up is a realty if you are low on fuel. At $7/gall it would cost you 50 cents a mile to drive it before you figure in cost, maintainace and insurance. Sad thing is, I think things are going to get worse because most people will not conserve unless it hits them in the wallet hard enough.

TheSnoMan

Oh yea, the United States will not change their look on fuel until it does hit them hard in the wallet.

Reply to
aircoolit