IAT Sensor???

I have a 1994 GMC K1500 4WD with a 350 and TBI. I was trying to locate the IAT sensor on this motor to attempt a resistor mod to see how it would affect performance. However, from what I've read in the repair manuals and seen in the schematics, I don't think this year/model uses an IAT or MAT sensor. Additionally, the "books" say it was on '96 and later model GMC's. Can you, the experts, confirm this info? Please email me direct and snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks. Andy

Reply to
AndyW

No IAT or MAT on the TBI trucks. 96' and later were MPFI MAF based systems and do have an IAT located just aft of the airbox.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Thanks Doc. Appreciate the quick turn on the question. Andy

Reply to
AndyW

Another question.....is there anything that one can do on the aforementioned engine /vehicle to improve the performance without spending alot of $$? I was considering headers, cold air intake system, and/or a performance chip like the Hypertech chip. Any thoughts or advice from the groups as well as actual mods that have been done on your vehicle would be appreciated. Thanks. Andy

locate the IAT sensor on this motor to attempt a resistor mod to see how it would

manuals and seen in the schematics, I don't think this year/model uses an IAT or MAT

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com.

systems and do have an IAT located just aft of the airbox.

Reply to
AndyW

aforementioned

Here are my suggestions based on experience, take them for what they're worth!

  1. Headers (FULL LENGTH, not shorties) will give you the biggest bang for your buck. Tri-Y's work best on stock truck motors.
  2. Cold air intake systems are a waste of money. In fact, your truck already has one..........see that tube running from the air cleaner to the fender? There is a baffle/silencer in there that restricts airflow that can be removed for a few extra horsies.
  3. Performance chips are a waste of money on a bone-stock engine.

  1. High performance plugs would do er' some good. I suggest AC Delco Rapidfires.

  2. RESTORE lubricant in the oil. Some say it's snake oil, I've used it religiously for years and it's NEVER failed to produce a measureable increase in compression, thus resulting in more power. Add with every oil change.

My $0.02

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Doc, whatta think of this?

(cut and paste if it wraps)

Reply to
William

(cut and paste if it wraps) Never used one (I use open-element style air cleaners) but the idea is sound. For $24.99 is it sucks you could always return it.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Doc says

What would think would be better, an open element sucking in hot under hood air or the cold air tube to the fender?

Reply to
William

Ya know, they're probably both about the same. The open element sucks in more air but it's less dense, cold air systems typically suck less air that is more dense, so the available 02 is probably pretty darn close. Besides, at anything over 35 mph it's cool enough under the hood IMO.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

That's why he's the Doc:

And we're not!

Where the hell have you been hiding for the past few days Doc?

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

I was out of town for a week or so and didn't have internet in my room. Didn't feel like walking down to the "business center" in the hotel in my skivvies every night to check in on you crazies!

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Maybe some babe would have liked it?

Then we would have read about you on the news!

Doc, gets decocked, by Mrs. Doc!

Welcome back!

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

those came stock on trucks with a 305 in them (both my dad's '90 C2500 and my bro's '93 C1500 had them) . my '88k2500 w/ a 350 had the intake muffler on it. you can do the exact same thing with a 12" piece of 4" STR35 drain pipe and some black spray paint.. total cost,

5 bucks. that how I run my '88 K2500.

hth, Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

esp if you remove the rubber fender liners.. lots of airflow then.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Thanks bud!