92 K1500 TBI 350

Hello,

Anyone know of any real power improvements one can make to this truck. I'm not screwing with headers. Engine is stock with true dual exhaust. Auto trans.

Reply to
Elbert

Headers are worth it! Not a big deal to install.Also do a good air intake,and mass air meter. Why do you need more power?

Reply to
Bill

TBI's do not HAVE a "mass air meter" or mass airflow sensor as they are properly termed.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Your right! Don`t know what the hell I was thinking. Maybe not at all.

Reply to
Bill

TBI motors didn't come with a true dual exhaust. it was a Y pipe into a single cat then split back into 2 pipes at the muffler. headers are definately worth it for these motors. the biggest improvement you'll get is from new heads. the TBI heads suck big time.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

No, he means a stock motor with true duals. At least that's what I read.

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

Exhaust is not stock

Yea I'm aware that different heads certainly would help. But if one wanted to retain the TBI setup you're limited in what you can do. As far as I know.

1) install an eldebrock performer intake and run stock heads.

2) go with (the only aftermarket setup I know of) the GM "aftermarket" TBI intake that matches the "fast burn" heads and also install the fast burn heads. Other than that I'm not aware of a TBI intake that you could run on the older style high performance heads. Different bolt pattern on the heads and intake.

Reply to
Freakshow

I thought the question was "how much power can I get" and still have a daily driver type vehicle.

I feel that the TBI setup, although good does not make enough power...at least for me anyway.

If you take the throttle body >Headers are worth it! Not a big deal to install.Also do a good air

Reply to
Freakshow

Reply to
Freakshow

the stock TBI intake will bolt up to any '87 up performance heads. buying a set of 'vette heads out of a scrapyard would be alot better than the super crappy TBI heads. the only difference between the pre and post '87 heads are two canted bolts in the center of the heads...

20 mins and a Dremel would take care of that.

another thing I should mentnion is that early 454 TBI motors used a spreadbore intake with an adapter for the TBI on it. if you can get ahold of one of these adapters, you can pretty much use any intake on the market.

If I can ever spare the cash, I'm going to put the GMPP TBI for vortec intake and a set of Vortec heads on my '88 350 TBI.

hth, Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

It should be an Edelbrock RPM. Change the cam and heads.

Reply to
Bill

Scrap theTBI,and put on a carb. Much easier to deal with.

Reply to
Bill

I'm not sure how in the hell a carb is easier to deal with.... nothing like flooding your engine out with a stuck choke on a cold winters morning.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Stuck choke? Never had that problem. Atleast you can tune a carb. You would also get more torque from a carb.HP is about the same.

Reply to
Bill

I've been tempted to do that....and I would if I were looking to max the power. But I dont' think you can beat fuel injection for all around "daily driver". Even though the TBI motors are kind of wimpy, they do start at all temp ranges and will idle for hours with no problem.

Reply to
Elbert