Ignition problems on 4.3 l ??

I have a 1996 1500K with the 4.3 l V6, 5 speed. Starting at about 25,000 miles, the engine started running rough. One day, it bucked and sputtered, and finally died. The dealer said I needed new injectors. I said No, I don't think so. Anyway, I got it back, it was running OK for a few days, then it started the hesitation, sputtering, bucking at mid engine speeds, light load. Ran fine at idle and with the pedal down. Well, I replaced the coil and wires - no good. Then I replaced the distributor cap and rotor (pain in the butt job) and that took care of it... for a while. Since then, I've had to replace cap and rotor about every 8000 miles. Same thing happens, especially in damp weather: bucking, hesitation at mid rpms, light load. If the weather isn't too wet, it'll clear up after about 15 minutes and run fine the rest of the day. I've tried sealant around the base of the dist. cap - no difference. I'm not too excited about changing out the distributor, but maybe the housing is cracked?? Just curious to know if anyone else has had this problem and/or has any bright ideas. BTW - SES light does not come on. Thanks

Reply to
Roger Seymour

Just a guess but ............... Is it possible that your ignition module is screwed up and causing the cap to wear out prematurly.??????????????

Reply to
seeray