1987 Ford Ranger 4X4 2.9 L Problems

Thanks for all the great feedback on trying to figure this thing out. I am glad to be able to come here for help. Let me bring you up to speed. I lost power last week driving home. My engine turns over but there is no spark. I changed the igition module and still no spark. I took off the distributor cap to check to see if it was turning and it is so I know my timing chain (NOT belt) is ok. One thing I forgot to mention is that I had the Emissions light come on some last week before it died. Unfortunately I live out in the counry and I really don't feel like spending the tow bill into a real mechanic unless I have to.

Any new suggestions?

Thanks,

Tim in Indiana.

Reply to
Big T.

If I recall this engine correctly, there is a magnetic pickup coil in the distributor which senses distributor rotation and signals the ignition module to spark. Chances are that the pickup is shot.

Reply to
gw

I don't have any engine suggestions, but if you'll keep all your posts and follow ups together in the same thread, it'll be easier for everyone to stay "tuned" to the same thread, instead of making a new post everytime.

Good luck though,

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Is this a big deal to fix or is it something I could figure out?

Big T.

I believe you're referring to the Hall Effect Sensor.

I don't think it is too difficult to replace. If you are interested I'll sell you the whole distributor from my 1990 2.9L. It's sitting on a shelf just waiting to be put in a box :-). I'll make a note to look in my shop manual and see what it says about replacing that piece of the distributor.

-D

Reply to
Derrick Hudson

I've never done one in a Ford, but my Dodge was easy. Pull the distributor cap, remove the rotor, remove a shield, take out a couple of screws, unplug a connector. Reinstall in reverse order. There were no adjustments. I seem to recall the part for the Dodge was about $30.00.

Reply to
gw

OK I talked to a mechanic that asked me to check spark from the ignition coil. I did not have spark coming from the coil to the distributor cap so I changed the ignition coil. It still won't start. I am about to throw in the towel and have it checked out at a mechanics.

I guess if I don't have spark from the coil to the cap then I don't need to woory about anything in the distributor at this point ... right?

Someone mentioned a solenoid. Could that be it?

Thanks for your help.

tim

Reply to
Big T.

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 20:05:56 -0500, Big T. rearranged some electrons to form:

Not necessarily. If the Hall effect sensor is bad, it will not trigger the coil. Derrick suggested that you replace it, have you done that yet?

Reply to
David M

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 20:05:56 -0500, Big T. rearranged some electrons to form:

PS also remove the TFI module and have it tested as well.

Reply to
David M

I changed the TFI out and still no spark.

I don't think I am getting power to my coil. I need to check it tomorrow.

Reply to
Big T.

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 21:08:16 -0500, Big T. rearranged some electrons to form:

How about the sensor inside the cap?

Reply to
David M