improve mileage?

I have an 89 S-10 Blazer, 4.3, 700R4, entire drivetrain is new.

Did some research into the average mileage and found out that I'm getting about 6mpg less than I should be.

What are some things other than tires, filters, and oil, to check to improve my mileage? I refer specifically to the electronic engine controls.

How do I check my fuel injectors to be sure they are not leaking . I suspect my injectors are letting more fuel into the engine by way of leaking, than they should be- and therefore the engine is running rich.

Reply to
burntkat

Kat,

Using WinALDL, monitor the 02 sensor reading vs. injector pulse width. If the 02 is slightly rich and the pulse width is narrow, could be the FPR is leaking. Also, how's the timing? If set at TDC, try bumping her up to

4*BTDC to get a better burn.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Haven't you gotten that 350 in there yet? ;o)

How's the SFA plans coming?

Reply to
SBlackfoot
350-- well, if Doc would ever pull that pack outta his truck and send it this way.. ;)

SFA: was originally going to be done last week while I was on vacation. However, two weeks ago the wife and I put an offer in on a house, and between being super-busy with the runup to that and the fact that I will soon have a garage of my own I decided to put the project back a few months.

We close on the 28th, and then on the 4th June I am going out of town on a task till the 22nd. Then in July I have a trip to the Mojave again for work, so with any luck I'll get to it in August. I have everything I need except for incidentals which can be purchased locally, so it won't take long once I get the time to get to it. Probably a week of working nights and weekends. But first we have to get settled and get all the boxes out of what will surely be a crowded garage.....

Reply to
burntkat

FPR is brand new. Yeah, I know it could still be leaking. I bought the new FPR, not the rebuild kit, as my FPR had a spring broken into 7 pieces.

I'm mainly concerned about the injectors themselves. I am not convinced that they are spraying properly.

Other than that, what else as far as engine controls, vacuum problems, etc, could cause poor mileage? Basic tuneup items aren't what I'm after- that's been done.

Got any idea of what the ranges should be on WinALDL for this data? I will pull data at lunch and post it if you'll look over it for me.

Reply to
burntkat

Inline...........................

Timing? What is it set at now?

Man, been awhile since I've troubleshot a system this way, can't remember offhand. Lemme look around and see if I have em' written down somewhere. Transsurgeon (Gary G) would know the answer to this one offhand and he is quite the EFI guru.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Base is set at 4deg BTDC. Yes, I disconnected teh ESC wire.

When reconnectiing and checking timing after setting it, the engine retards to something like 10BTDC

Also, while running a WinALDL session on the way home yesterday, I noted 290 incidences of spark knock.

Also- while reading data, the idle wanted to go to 1500RPM and the coolant temp went to 232 degrees . The only thing I can think is that I must have used the wrong resistor shunt while reading, and this put the ECU in some bizarre mode.

I am slowly beginning to understand the data- though the abbreviations are not yet clear.

Reply to
burntkat