Isolating the Computer, ESC, and Distrib Module (continued)

NOT AZs fault that YOU don't have the correct chip. You were told REPEATEDLY that it DIDN'T COME WITH THE CHIPS. Both of those chips are application specific and without the correct ones it will not work. Oh and FYI the 1227429 computer HAS to be out of the type of vehicle you have or it will not work either. The box is the same as used in other vehicles but the chips are different. So if you get one that came out of an 88 with a manual trans it will not work in your vehicle with the auto trans. The 1228062 is an updated computer BUT it will not have the correct PROM in it either,you need the correct ones first.

Reply to
Steve W.

The only thing I buy from AZ is Perf. Friction brake pads, sparkplugs and fluids. Everything else is Advance Auto or NAPA for exactly the same reason you describe above Neil.

Had a wheel cylinder SHEAR off on me last year (literally sheared right where the wheel cylinder meets the drum backing plate). Not a fun experience......................and it was an Autozne product, about 2.5 years old.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Remember this next line before hacking up your new computer. Most vehicles have only one "chip" in them, the larger.

If your junkyard computer only has one, it's OK. If it has two, it's OK. I'm not going to bother with splaining the details, just make sure it's from a 2.8 with an automatic. If they don't have one, order a PROM. If AZ doesn't have it, try somewhere else. I don't have access to my books till next week sometime, but I'm not sure that 8062 will work.

Reply to
John Alt

Like I said my 'old' chips could possibly have been correct but - but no - I've been screwed again by the prior owner of this thing. Whoever puts the wrong computer into a truck, and 1 of the chips in a seperate bag on the floor, and then and sells it claiming it's "perfect other than the blown engine" deserves to be shot - I'm not going to do it but someday someone will, if he doesn't die of his diseases first. And where oh where is someone supposed to get chips? Is, my only hope at this point is a big junk yard (in the sky)? And sorry - dissagree if you want to - but selling computers w/o chips seems stupid to this eningeer. Yea they may be app specific, but w/o any way to get the correct chips one is FUBAR. The instruction sheet warns against dammaging chips and voiding warrentee, but nowhere does it even provide a website to get a replacement chip - and thus I may return it with a very clear concience. Had there been at least a website offered for scoring the chips I would have probably bought them. Elliott PS: The website with the

"Steve W." wrote:

Reply to
Elliott

John, No, I used the 'old' chips. The sockets matched. There was

1 big, 1 small. When I got the truck the computer was >
Reply to
Elliott

Reply to
Elliott

They reman the computer since the chips very seldom fail. AND there are places to get new chips. GM will sell you all you could ever want. So will Rock Auto Online they have them from 25.79 for the CALPAK and up to

64.79 for the EPROM depending on what you need takes 3 days since they don't stock them either. (those will work in the 1228062 ECC) Oh and just to be helpful you are probably looking for either 1228544 or 16060380 EPROMs That depends on the emissions option your vehicle has, And assumes it isn't a CA or Canadian vehicle originally.

BUT because they are application specific most places don't carry them. Think about this, Take just your truck as an example. There are at least

25 different EPROMS for JUST the S series with a 2.8 in 1988. Auto/man trans, CPI/TBI, 4x4/2x4, Gear ratios, w/AC wo/AC and what which computer and state/country the vehicle you have all require different programming depending on options. Now you being a big "engineer" you should realize things like this.

Of course it really sounds more like you have no clue how a ECC unit works since you claim the chips should work "No, I used the 'old' chips. The sockets matched. There was 1 big, 1 small." Really sounds like a pro there... I really like the idea of just shorting out sensors to cure things, never gave a thought to the fact that some of them might just burn out circuitry when you short them did you. Oh and last I knew AZ doesn't accept returns on electrical items.

Reply to
Steve W.

Odds are he just didn't know any better.

You could start by getting friendly with your local Chevrolet (or GMC) dealerships parts department. Their parts catalogs should list out which PROMs would be possible fits. The PROM is stamped with a 4 letter code, this is called the "broadcast code," once you know which broadcast codes might work, you'll stand a better chance of locating one in a bone yard. FYI, an original untouched ECM will have the broadcast code printed on the outside label, knowing this will save you effort when tramping thru the bone yard.

Actually, it makes perfect sense. The PROM is what tailors the ECM to the individual application. It allows a relatively small number of ECM chassis to fit a broader range of applications. It also allows that running changes be made when problems occur. Chrysler and Ford build their ECMs the way that you say makes more sense, but when a programming change is needed, it comes at a much higher expense to the consumer.

Has GM actually told you that a new PROM is unavailable? Have you hit the proverbial brick wall in attempting to have them assist you in trying to determine which is the correct PROM for that truck?

Swapping the old PROM to the new computer has been standard operating procedure WRT GM ECMs for over 25 years. This predicament of yours occurs most often as the result of ignorance and careless handling, same as when a vehicle is in a front end accident but the repair person(s) don't see fit to replace the original tune up label and vacuum diagrams as a part of the repair. Eventually, someone -needs- that information and learns a hard lesson in frustration.

Now you know why I have such a strong dislike when it comes to sloth, ignorance and carelessness.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

After that, I'd swear off their brake parts forever.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Steve,

I'm not ignorant of what you suggest below (ie: blowing parts by shorting or even missmatching them, etc). However, w/ less than 3 days to go before loading the rental truck, I took my chances - and for that I can run it, even drive it (though not ready for inspection). Thanks for the source info, I will archive it and possibly buy from there if Gary's doesn't work.

NG (another + for AZ), AZ took back the computer and gave back my original/core. AND I was truthful with them about why I was returning it - So I could have the core part back since it at least runs and because I didn't have a ready source for chips. That's one of the things I like about AZ - they're customer friendly (past dealings with GM dealers have been less so and far more expensive).

When I get an address again I can mail order stuff, or maybe I will find good service at a GM dealer where I'm going - or better maybe Gary's will have something that will work for $25 +10 Core - I'll pay $35 and take a chance at this point. I might even buy 2 of them since I've been doing business there since I was a kid and they know me - maybe even will give me 2 for the price of 1.

Elliott

"Steve W." wrote:

Reply to
Elliott

WTF does the condition of the backing plate have to do with a wheel cylinder shearing off? This had better be good.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Oh hell yeah. I did just that as soon as I saw it. I wish I had of snapped some pics of it but I was so pissed off I just threw it in a ziploc bag, threw it away and drank beer. This happened in my garage thank god, could have been bad news on some of the crazy Appalachian roads I drive on daily.

I have NEVER used AZ parts on front ends, drivetrains, etc. I used to use their brake parts (calipers, wheel cylinders, hardware, etc.) until this happened. Until just recently I used their electronic components and have had good results with them; I'll give em' that. I've even switched back to Delco oil filters from Mobil 1 so I don't have to make a trip to AZ when it's maintenance time.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Hi!

Hey! I take offense to that! :-)

Well, no, wait, I guess I can't. Mine is great except for the radio. But that was soon fixed.

William The Guesser (and S-10 Owner)

Reply to
William R. Walsh

I'm gunna side with you William. I really enjoy zipping around in my wife's

98' Sonoma. Fast as hell, decent size bed, quiet inside. Yeah, it'll never go offroad (2WD, SLS Sport package, sits pretty low to the ground), but on-road it serves it's purpose. I personally like the bigger cab of the FS trucks as I tend to spread out when I'm driving, but for a small truck, it's damn comfy on long trips.

Haven't had any problems with it. Needed brakes and a waterpump but that's it so far. And yeah, the radio was the first thing I did to it. Dumped a Sony ES head unit in her, Blaupunkt speakers in the dash and doors and a JL Audio sub in the back (wife likes her country music thumpy!).

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Hi!

Well, there's the junkyard.

Or --presumably-- (meaning to say I see no reason why this couldn't work) you could always extract the ROM from a working donor vehicle and copy it with a good ROM burner attached to a computer. I don't know if you could do the same with the CALPAK (which I believe is the smaller of the two chips) though.

When you've got a truck that didn't come with the right stuff, it's easy to agree. You've gotta get the proper code from somewhere...and that can be irritating and hard.

But otherwise it is somewhat understandable, especially when the computer could be used with more than one vehicle, set of options or microcode revision/type. It would be nice to see a system where you buy the computer and then get the code you need burned to some nice new chips for your vehicle's computer.

Good point. ROM chips don't always last forever. But read on...

...the only problem with that is the fact that GM probably has a copyright on the code that the engine computer runs, and therefore places restrictions or totally forbids its distribution outside of "official channels".

William The Guesser

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Reply to
Elliott

Reply to
Elliott

So, engineer, care to tell me what memory was costing back in the 80's when this computer first came out?

I believe the EPROM's used were typically 4K (12 bit address bus, which you'd have had to widen for your scheme). 400K back then would have been insane, and really lowered the yield.

Reply to
John Alt

Reply to
Elliott

Same here, NO electronic parts at AZ Bought a coil for my '89 S blazer, it was arcing through the side, AZ coil started doing the same after about 1k miles. Needless to say the NAPA coil is still going strong as I sold the truck to my brother 2yr ago. One good thing about AZ is that when they came to town the local NAPA adjusted their prices down to compete, a win for me as I couldn't get a price break before.

Reply to
Repairman