need to find out what is the right ignition timing for a toyota camry V6 LE

I just both my car and fix some stuff on it. When we tried to check it for a smog it pass almost everything except for the timing ignition. The result says that my timing ignition was malfunction because it was 14 BTCD. A family friend that is a mechanic tried to adjusted it for me, finds out that the sticker that suppose to be on the hood which has all the info isn't there anymore. So he just adjusted it to 10 for me. I don't want to pay for a test smog just to find out what is the right ignition timing. So if any of you out there that could help me in this issue I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Reply to
poisonivy

not sure about your exact year but most are set to 10 degrees before top dead center, so sounds like your friend set it correctly on mine you need to jumper two terminals in the DLC (diagnostic link connector) before attempting to set the ignition timing and then the "check engine" light on the dash will be flashing at a constant rate while your checking the setting - this disables the ECM (electronic control module) computer advance so you can set the base timing.

Reply to
Daniel

not sure about your exact year but most are set to 10 degrees before top dead center, so sounds like your friend set it correctly on mine you need to jumper two terminals in the DLC (diagnostic link connector) before attempting to set the ignition timing and then the "check engine" light on the dash will be flashing at a constant rate while your checking the setting - this disables the ECM (electronic control module) computer advance so you can set the base timing.

Reply to
Daniel

Reply to
Anna Rose Estandarte via CarKB

Yours is 10 deg. BTDC You can use a paper clip for the jumper wire - I think the terminals are TE1 and E1, but double check.

Daniel