Leaking rear Axel seals at 45K???

My 2002 Tahoe is leaking lube out of the rear axel seals at 45,000 miles. The dealer wants $620 to fix.

Is the price fair???

Is this waaaaaay to early to experience such a problem???

We've towed my 20' boat maybe 15 times, so the rear end has been dunked in water a bit if that matters.

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
geemike

Shep

For rear axle seals? Try 1.5 hrs.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Not if all they are replacing is two rear axle seals. But I suspect there must be more to that estimate. Do you have it handy?

Yeah, I'd say that could matter. You would be amazed at how water can get into differentials. Especially if you insert the entire axle under water....and it's hot.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Reply to
Shep

A shop I've used before and trust has quoted $280 to do the job.

I'm still pretty peeved that I have this kind of PITA at 45k.

Thanks for the replies

Mike

Reply to
geemike