MOBIL ONE

I know this has been asked before, but whats the deal with the Mobil One oil?? I hear it can help higher mileage engines? How does one go about it? Will it hurt anything? Pro's? Cons? Can I go back to regular oil or do I have to stay with the Mobil One stuff??

Reply to
My Own Little Universe

Don't know if it HELPS high-mileage engines, but it's certainly not HURTING my 113,000 mile, 10 year old 4.3L. I don't burn or leak a drop, or haven't since my last oil change (almost 4,000 miles ago now).

Drain old oil out, pour in Mobil 1. No power flush needed, but I suggest you change it after 1,000 miles, then again after 2,000 more, then you should be good for 3,000-5,000 mile intervals. I only suggest the 1,000 and 2,000 mile changes because the synthetic broke up a lot of sludge that was in my engine and could have caused some serious problems. I did NOT change at 1,000 and then 2,000 more miles and didn't have any problems, but YMMV. You may just need to change the filter, your discretion.

Slightly better gas mileage. Less initial startup wear.

Higher cost. Your engine MAY develop leaks after a short while, due to the breakup of sludge that may be helping seals do their job. I had ONE seal fail after changing to synthetic at 80,000+ miles when I initially went to a full-synthetic oil (Pennzoil at the time, not Mobil 1).

I've heard you can, but I've also heard you can't go back once you make the switch. I don't really know if it matters, but I wouldn't use synthetic one change and dino the next and keep alternating...

Reply to
Mike Levy