Modifying a TB setup with larger injectors???

Is there a way that a stock throttle body on a 1994 GMC K1500 350 can be modified with larger injectors? A bit more fuel with a ram air setup and headers should equate to a bit more snort, right? Any sources for getting parts of this nature? Looking for opinions and any advice that might be helpful.

Thanks. Andy

Reply to
AndyW

A stock TB injector, and its computer system should be easily capable of handling the headers and ram air.

Reply to
Scott M

1) you install 'larger injectors' 2) the O2 sensor sees a 'rich' exhaust 3) ECM cuts back IPW (Injector Pulse Width) to return air-fuel ratio to ideal 4) you're back to Square One

better course is to make sure fuel pressure is up to par, and change fuel filter regularly

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Gary is absolutely correct, tweak the rail pressure first (9-13psi), then read these articles:

Mad Dog

Thanks to all for the replies and suggestions. I'm looking at the budget to try out some of this stuff. Andy

Reply to
AndyW

I've thought for a while about getting one of these to "trick" the computer into running more rich. Seems a little pricy for what you get though.

Also, I run a MSD adjustable timing module. Its a slick deal that gives you a knob on the dash, allowing you to adjust the timing on the fly. When you choose to, you can run premium fuel, bump the timing up a little, and feel it pull noticably better. Conversely, if you get a tank of bad gas, or are towing, you retard the timing so it doesn't ping on you.

Later, B.

Reply to
Brian

Brian:

How does this MSD box work/mount? For my vehicle below, what special modifications would I need? I went to this link and there's two different types of units. Which would I need?

Appreciate the education.

Andy

be modified with larger injectors? A bit more fuel with a ram air setup

getting parts of this nature? Looking for opinions and any advice that might be helpful.

computer into running more rich. Seems a little pricy for what you get though.

you a knob on the dash, allowing you to adjust the timing on the fly. When you

it pull noticably better. Conversely, if you get a tank of bad gas, or are

Reply to
AndyW

Hey Andy, Without running out to the truck to be sure, I believe it is this one.

I can double check if you like, of just give Jegs a call. It was easy to install, you tap into a couple wires at the coil, power and ground the box, and run the wire and knob to the dash. It is CA smog legal too, or at least was a few years ago. I'll double check the info if you like, lemme' know. Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Andy, I checked under the hood, and yes, it is a MSD 8683. B.

#121-8683

Reply to
Brian

Brian: So, from what I read on this module, an MSD 6-Series, SCI, 7-, 8- or

10-Series Ignition Control.is used in conjuction with it, right? Is this worth the effort and money? The way your post reads, you're just using the timing module; what kind of results are you getting? Andy

easy to install, you tap into a couple wires at the coil, power and ground the box, and run the wire and knob to the dash. It is CA smog legal too, or at least was a few years ago.

modifications would I need? I went to this link and there's two

budget to try out some of this stuff.

350 can be modified with larger injectors? A bit more fuel with a ram air setup

for getting parts of this nature? Looking for opinions and any advice that

computer into running more rich. Seems a little pricy for what you get

that gives you a knob on the dash, allowing you to adjust the timing on the fly.

little, and feel it pull noticably better. Conversely, if you get a tank of bad gas, or

Reply to
AndyW

=361

Hey Andy, The 8683 is a stand-alone unit. You just power it and tap into a couple of coil wires. I think it is very much worth the money, but I am also a gadget/tinkerer type of guy. I will reach up and tweak the timing as I drive. You can actually feel the truck pull stronger as you advance the timing. You'll just need to pay pretty close attention to the motor and it's sounds if you are running more advance than stock settings. As you advance the timing the moter becomes more suseptable to pinging, which can loosely be described as the fuel mixture exploding, rather than burning in a controlled manner. Prolonged severe pinging WILL ruin your engine, so you'll need to keep that in the back of your mind at all times if you're messing with the timing. That said, you can feel a little more power with better gas, and advanced timing. What that equates to in numbers I don't know... maybe 3 or 5 hp? Also, you could just skip installing the ignition control and advance your timing a few degrees from stock, and run premium fuel. But pay close attention for pinging. The convenience of adjusting for gas, load, driving style, etc. makes the MSD box very worth it to me. Hope this helps, Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Thanks for the info.

Reply to