need help replacing spark plugs

I am trying to replace the spark plugs in my 2003 gmc sierra 1500 5.3L

4wd. I have got all but two done with. One giving me trouble is on the passenger side, nearest to the firewall. The other one is on the driver-side, second nearest to the firewall. I think to be able to get to the second one it is necessary to dis-assemble the shaft leading from the steering column to the front axel. I have no idea how to get to the other one though... There doesnt appear to be enough room to get the spark-plug socket on the spark plug while also getting the wrench in the socket... any tips?
Reply to
Matthew Dyer

Could you make it work using a universal joint and extensions?

Reply to
NapalmHeart

How about putting the socket on the plug then putting the ratchet handle on the socket? WRT the #7 spark plug, you might try removing the LF wheel and going in that way. Perhaps with a flex ext. Have no prob with either on my 97 Yukon SLT.

Regards, JR

Reply to
JR

On my '04 Z71 Avalanche, they can both be removed with a 3/8 ratchet with a short 1" extension to the spark plug socket. Doing it with no extension (just the spark plug socket) or the standard 3" extension causes clearance issues.

Reply to
Augustus