Need help with gas mileage for 00 Silverado 5300

Hi, I'm new to this forum and was hoping I could find some expertise here. I've got a '00 Silverado 5300 and I'm looking for ways I can improve my gas mileage. Right now I'm getting around 15-16 with mostly highway driving. I'm considering a high-flow air filter such as K&N or Fram Air Hog. Also, would a cold-air intake help? I've seen some K&N's for about $250. Any ideas? Thanks.

Reply to
MikeC

just ny thoughts BUT stay away from k & n i HAD one on my 2000 z71 noticed i said HAD. it did nothing for me, only reason i got it was i had ordered something from summit, and they said on next order i would get a discount. think i ended up paying like 15 for the filter, worse 15 bucks i ever spent. i was getting round 15-17 mpg in my z71 that was city driving too. same engine 5.3 with the 3.73 gears in back. now i have a 04 gmc sierra and am getting about 15-17 in town its a 4x4.

Reply to
Charles H.

That has been proven wrong many times

Reply to
Eugene

I had one on my 2000 silverado Z71 also with the 5.3 and 3.73 gears. I have never seen 15 city driving. I had the K&N FIPK next generation intake and still have a flowmaster cat back exhaust. Notice I also said "had" about the K&N. I paid a ton of money for it (like $350) and noticed no difference other than the noise. They do not filter as well IMHO and not worth the money. Certainly sounds like you are going faster, but I doubt there were any HP gains or increased fuel economy. I get 12 in town and 14-15 on the highway. I believe the best way to improve gas mileage is put a block of wood under the gas pedal! HTH,

Derek

Reply to
genius

You can drop your tailgate and gain about 1-1.5 mpg usually.

I once considered the Splitfire spark plugs but hesitate since I do not know anyone that has tried them.

But alas, we're stuck with not great mileage. But I love the truck as it is fun to drive and can haul a good bit of stuff without any trouble.

RonT

Reply to
Ron Truitt

That`s about as good as your gonna get! Unless your on a road trip,you might get 18-20mpg. Try driving a 6.0 Then you will just love your little 5.3

Reply to
Bill

Splitfires are a waste of money. Stick with AC.

Reply to
Bill