2000 Silverado 5.3 governed?

I hit 100 in my 2000 Z71 with the 5.3 the other day, (yeah, yeah, I know), and it seemed to stumble once I passed that mark. I got off it right away but I'm curious to know whether or not the top speed on this vehicle is governed. If it is, can it be changed and how will that affect warranty?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich

jdoe

Reply to
Elliott

I think it's 108 mph on my Yuk. It's all about the tires speed rating as that's what sets the limit.

Reply to
Repairman

Yes it is set at 100. It can be changed BUT not easily, it is set because A. the tires are not speed rated for any higher. B. It's a TRUCK not a sports car, guess what happens if you have to rapidly avoid something? I'll give you a hint, Roll, Roll, Roll your truck, heavily down the road.... and YES it will void the powertrain warranty, because it would be considered "modification for racing" regardless if you race it or not. I'm kind of surprised Manufacturers don't void a lot more if they find a chip in them.

Reply to
Steve W.

I don't think if you put Z tires on there you could go faster. :-) Mother's 99 Malibu is 114.

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

Haawww Haawww Haawww Haawww Haawww

nospam

Reply to
NoSpam

hypertech power programmer will allow you to tell your truck you have higher speed rated tires. still, i think the programmer will limit out about 124. H Rating?

i have one on mine.

late.

Reply to
The Legend

by the way, it will NOT void your warranty.

The Legend

hmmmm

Reply to
Rich

No. Federal law prohibits a dealer from voiding your warranty just because you are using aftermarket parts, with only two exceptions:

A warranty claim can be denied only if the part is the cause of damage, This is the part they use to void warrantee coverage if you use a K&N filter, or other part and it causes problems.

or if it adversely affects the emissions or the emissions system. Guess what adjusting the programming of the factory computer does? Ford and GM have already stated that they will NOT cover warrantee work on vehicles that have a chip in them or if the factory programming has been altered.

Reply to
Steve W.

hmmmm again.

Reply to
Rich

"Steve W." wrote

We had a case last year of a Corvette that came in running rough. Long story short.....had a bunch of bent valves. Now, this is pretty much impossible with stock software. You can't over rev it unless you happened to grab a very low gear at high speeds (which poses it's own difficulties.) The customer had non-stock intake, non-stock exhaust, and non-stock wheels and tires. Took the engine apart to check possible problems with the timing chain and gears. Nothing found.

Anyway, after some bickering and fighting, the customer gave up and paid for a brand new motor as the district service manager refused warranty on the engine.

We suspected that he had reprogrammed the software at some time, but (as far as I know, someone can correct me if this is wrong) apparently you can revert back to factory software quite easily. I suggested to the DSM that it might not be a bad idea if GM includes some sort of flagging mechanism to tip off the dealer tech's if non-factory software has been installed at any time.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Ya know Ian I bet in a couple of years cars like the Corvette will come with OnStar as standard and when the car is started with modified software the OnStar system will let GM know that you did it. Probably will be powered by Bill Gates!

LOL

Brian

Reply to
NoSpam

Well if its powered by Bill Gates then it will be easy to circumvent any security system :)

Reply to
Eugene

Ahh but it's not if, It's when.

nospam

Reply to
NoSpam

Just 1 question! Why do you need to go over 100mph,in a truck?

1/4 Mile Junkies
Reply to
Bill S

To get to the other side, Faster!

nospam

Reply to
NoSpam

Think the message center will start flashing "Install MS05-001 Security Update" along with the "change engine oil" messages then?

Reply to
Eugene

message

Yeah, or your car's computer will lock up while driving down the expressway. You'll have to pull over to reboot before you can take off again.

nospam

Reply to
NoSpam