Removing 4WD hardware to make 2WD vehicle

Hey all--

I'm considering getting a Ford Explorer for it's towing capabilities, the one i'm looking at though is a 4WD vehicle and I doubt I'd ever use the 4WD system.

My question is...

If the 4WD hardware went bad, or wore out, or for whatever reason wasn't wanted anymore, is it feasible to remove the additional equipment and basically have the weight and complexity of a 2WD vehicle?

Thanks.

Reply to
Masospaghetti

Hmm. A more common question is how one might *add* 4WD to a 2WD version (rather a more expensive and difficult proposition). Hmm.

I would suggest that although what you want to do is possible -- maybe even semi-easy if you will settle for a partial conversion (and depending on what year and options you've got) -- you'd be giving up a valuable capability, and ending up with a pallet of greasy heavy machinery in the yard, in order to gain very little. It'd still be a heavy, largish vehicle. A quick glance around fueleconomy.gov makes me think 4WD costs you about 1 (one) MPG both city and highway in this vehicle, given similar engine and tranny choices.

BTW, you didn't say what you mean to tow, but 4WD -- especially with "low range" for those really special occasions -- can be useful for, say, getting up a slimy boat ramp.

If you want an Explorer and concomitant towing capacity but really would feel silly tooling around with 4WD that you never used, look for a good example that was born 2WD, is my suggestion. And if you want this particular vehicle, don't fret too much about its having 4WD.

Cheers,

--Joe

Reply to
Ad absurdum per aspera

Thanks for the reply.

I was more concerned that, if in the future the 4wd broke down and instead of fixing it I could just remove it entirely. The explorer i'm looking at is a 2000 sport with the electronic 4wd.

I'm trying to find one with a 5-speed, they are rather hard to come by :-(

Reply to
Masospaghetti

Worse comes to worst, disabling or circumventing it might prove more appropriate than physically removing it. With any luck, the failure modes would default to 2WD with unlocked front hubs, anyway, or at least could be haywired into that configuration.

You should find parts and expertise for keeping the 4WD working easy enough to find, though -- owning a car that they made a zillion of has its advantages.

I'd also suggest exercising these these features at least briefly every month or two (there may well be something on this in the owner's manual).

--Joe

Reply to
Ad absurdum per aspera

To replicate the weight and complexity of a 2WD vehicle you would have to remove everything from the transmission forward to the front axle. The front axle and suspension would have to be replaced. Replacing the front axle may mean the rear configuration would have to be tweaked too. Come to think of it, if you really want to replicate the 2WD setup you would have to replace the transmission too.

Since it is electronically engaged, you might check into whether removal of the transfer case would cause a conflict with the computer. Sounds far fetched, but look into it. Also check into whether systems (if any) such as ABS and STS would be impacted.

My suggestion...just leave the 4WD in place, or better yet buy a truck with 2WD.

Reply to
John S.

Could any significant weight savings be realized without completely undoing everything? like could the heaviest parts (transfer case, front axle) be removed and other stuff left?

Thanks

Reply to
Masospaghetti

probably not easily. on my truck, you'd need to get a new tail for the transmission and a new driveshaft to replace the lack of transfer case. I also believe you can't drive my truck without the front axles in place, you'd need to swap in the 2wd hubs, which requires the 2wd suspension.

Ray

Reply to
ray

The biggest single weight saving I think would be swapping out the front end, followed by losing the transfer case and then the drive shaft. After those three components any weight reductions will be minimal. I just don't think you would gain much by swapping all this stuff out although it would add considerably to the cost of the truck. If you don't need 4 wheel drive then keep looking until you find the right 2 wheel drive truck. It's a much much simpler and cheaper solution.

Reply to
John S.