nitrogen filled tires

Hi All I am reading and see places like Costco in my area thats are starting to fill tires with nitrogen. my question is it really work it and if it is why is better than compressed air?

Reply to
pika

fill them with helium and the car will levitate and float to work.

Reply to
I'm Right

use hydrogen and become the civilian hindenburg!

Reply to
Texas Aggie

Reply to
Stephen Young

Nitrogen doesn't expand as much when heated. I've noticed that my tire pressure can vary as much as 5PSI from early morning (cool) to mid afternoon (hot). In racecars, this pressure supposedly can be enough to cause the tires to burst, but I wouldn't think it would matter for a normal passenger car.

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

makes it a little hard for the driver to maintain pressure, too.. unless you happen to carry a nitrogen bottle..

they used to put it in motorcycle "air" forks, too, but I never felt any difference... I guess I never generated that much heat.. lol

Mac

03 Tahoe Widelite 26GT Travel Trailer replaced 1958 Hilite tent trailer 99 Dodge Ram QQ 2wd - 5.9L, auto, 3:55 gears
Reply to
mac davis

The air you breath is mostly nitrogen anyways, so it would not make much of a difference. I dont know why, but could it be that they are running all their tools off a nitrogen tank instead of having an air compressor? Dont know why they would do that though.

How well does nitrogen compress? could nitrogen offer a firmer ride?

Reply to
Trey

The bottled Nitrogen doesn't have the moisture content that your air does. People use Nitrogen for air tools because they can get more pressure. Just a note, if you ever hook up your standard air tools to a Nitrogen bottle, you need to have a governor limiting the amount of pressure getting to the wrench/tool. At the cycle shop, we used to occasionally hook an air wrench onto the Nitrogen bottle to break free a very stuck nut/bolt. Not exactly the safest thing to do, but usually it got it off.

Big Chris

Reply to
Big Chris

Air causes rubber to oxidize. We used Nitrogen in the station I worked at over 40 years ago. Air was free, Nitrogen was 10 cents a tire:) There was another advantage. Compressed air has moisture in it, when it gets cold some station operators put alcohol in the air tank to keep the lines from freezing. Spin the tires in snow, generate some static electricity and boom. Nitrogen is dry, non flammable and more temperature stable than air.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

I would be worried for anyone that hooked up an air too straight to the nitrogen bottle! most air tools are made for 90-120 PSI, an Industrial Compressed Gas Cylinder ranges from 2000-2600PSI. the bursting pressure of most air lines for air tools is 300-600PSI. the use or a regulator is required if you wish to use your tools more then once. Many industrial and high-end air compressors put out 175 PSI and are regulated down to 90-120. the moisture content may be the most accurate thought. if you are moving a lot of air through an installed air system, water will build up if you dont have air seperators.

Reply to
Trey

We regulated the pressure from the Nitrogen tank so it wasn't coming out at

1200PSI. We kept it to 250PSI and were using heavy duty air wrenches, though it is still dangerous. Ever seen a socket come off behind 250PSI? Shoots a long ways.....

Big Chris

Reply to
Big Chris

WHAT goes boom? A tire? You ever try and get one started on fire? Ya gotta use your head when you hear these stupid stories!

-- Best Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

The rubber doesn't have to burn to have the alcohol vapor to ignite.

Reply to
Trey

How would starting a tire on fire get it to explode? The static electricity ignites the mixture of air and Alcohol INSIDE the tire. Then there is a very rapid increase in pressure:)

BTW: When I lived on a farm I would burn tree stumps by putting old tires over them and lighting them on fire. All that's left is a bunch of wire hoops. No stump no tires. It makes a hell of a lot of smoke. Man what a hot fire.

Thanks for the regards, glad you realize you need to use your head:)

Al

Reply to
Big Al

| How would starting a tire on fire get it to explode? The static electricity | ignites the mixture of air and Alcohol INSIDE the tire. Then there is a very | rapid increase in pressure:)

Has this ever happened? I can't see how static electricity would ignite the alcohol. Where is any arcing going to take place? Inside the tire!?

| | BTW: When I lived on a farm I would burn tree stumps by putting old tires | over them and lighting them on fire. All that's left is a bunch of wire | hoops. No stump no tires. It makes a hell of a lot of smoke. Man what a hot | fire. | | Thanks for the regards, glad you realize you need to use your head:)

Reply to
JRK

Myth Busters Time!!!

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

Reply to
STOVEBOLT

I tried pointing out the B.S. but they clearly WANT to believe this. One thing I have found out in life is that a lie will circle the globe before the truth can tie it's shoes. I live in the Great White North of Ontario and I know a lot about spinning tires after almost 40 years of driving. I have never heard this B.S. story in my life.

-- Best Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

Propane USED to be the propellent inside those cans that inflat the tire and seal the leaks. NEVER heard of a tire blowing up into a ball of fire. Grow up and tell a story someone can believe! Your tales smack of kid stuff.

-- Best Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

-- Winston Churchil. And it's not shoes, it's pants.

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin