Normal Oil Pressure for 95 Blazer

Recently, I've noticed my oil pressure dropping a bit lower than usual. Typically, my psi was always 40-60 while driving, and never below 20 when idling. I've noticed recently while idling that my pressure is dropping to about 16-18 psi, and lower when driving. I have 125k on my truck and recently moved down south to Florida, where it's pretty hot.

I use 10w-30 oil - had it changed 2,000 miles ago. It's due to go into the shop in May to have some work done to the exhaust system and engine. I do have a bad knock when idling when the engine is cold, but it disappears after the engine has warmed up. (about 10 minutes) I think it's more associated with needing to replace the fuel injectors/regulator than anything else. However, I could be wrong.

I checked my oil level today - looks good. The oil is a light brown color - I am guessing this is OK?

Reply to
95Blazer

IEdit: I didn't mean the psi was dropping below 16-18 while driving as it may seem when reading the first paragraph. It is about 40-55 when driving.

Reply to
95Blazer

Oil pressure is okay. High temps will lower oil pressure. If you want to given engines age and climate, you could run 15w40 (not 10w40) during summer months when it stays above 85 a lot and that will boost oil pressure 5 to 10 PSI.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Thanks, The SnoMan. I was just getting nervous that the oil pressure was going down. It's getting hotter here in Florida as summer approaches - so I figured it had something to do with the 85+ temperatures.

My truck is due for an oil change in 900 miles, so I will try a different oil.

Reply to
95Blazer

That heavy duty 15w40 oil is good stuff. I use it in my old gas JD tractor and 318 riding mower too. I use WalMart Brand 15w40 in them and have for years.

SnoMan

Reply to
David Johnson

Although this is a valid point, the age amd mileage fit the pressure indications.

SnoMan